LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LisaEm disk corruption  (Read 3687 times)

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
LisaEm disk corruption
« on: June 02, 2020, 12:23:45 pm »

So based on the recent LisaCompose thread https://lisalist2.com/index.php/topic,85.msg528.html#msg528 , I suspect there's some file system corruption issue in LisaEm. I expect this goes back to 1.2.6 and possibly earlier, I'm not sure what the cause is as of yet.
I did find some memory clobbering in libdc 0.98 which is why it's not in use in 1.2.7 though it's included, it's possible it happens in 0.97 and earlier as well, though I did not notice any memory clobbering in libdc42 0.97.
Also just noticed that all my images of LisaProject don't work, running the "dir" command in lisafsh-tool does not work on LisaProject and also inserting them in LisaEm does not show a tool icon.
I'm not sure what the bug is, but keep this in mind, please back up any Profile images and floppy images before adding them to LisaEm, and possibly make backups of the ProFile images after making changes in LisaEm.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

blusnowkitty

Re: LisaEm disk corruption
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 12:34:13 pm »

In full disclosure - I was using the last precompiled build for Windows (1.2.6, will double-check) in a ROM-less configuration with the CPU speed set to maximum (because I was impatient that night) and Office System 3.1. I'll check again after work with the same build but set down to 5MHz.
You haven't lived until you've heard the sound of a Sony 400k drive.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:17:12 pm »

I don't expect the LisaEm CPU MHz speed setting will make any difference at all, but if by some chance you find that it does, let me know.
Tonight after work I'm going to write a small tester program to fill various sized dc42 disks with both known and random data and verify via checksum that data is as expected after each write and that no other blocks or tags were overwritten in the process, and then let it run overnight, both with and without interleave.

Hopefully this will expose if there's a bug in the underlying libdc42 code or if it's in LisaEm itself.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 07:23:44 pm »

well, it's not the interleave5/deinterleave5 functions, those passed.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 11:48:48 am »

it's not libdc42, I've exercise it against various sized images from 400k, 5M, 10M, 50MB, and 500MB and no clobbering or mismatched data or tags was exposed.

So it's gotta be something inside LisaEm itself, possibly that same CPU bug that breaks the LPW linker, the Desktop menu, the scrollbars, and Tom's Mandlebrot app, or yet another Instruction Pointer Cache issue, though the last time I ran against valgrind, no new warnings showed up.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 12:05:55 am »

I think perhaps the issue with some of the tools like LisaProject not showing up was because of a slightly different serialization method used by some tools. Once I removed the bozo bit in addition to the branded serial number, Lisa Project started to show up. https://lisalist2.com/index.php/topic,98.msg586.html#msg586

Pages: [1]   Go Up