LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bought a 3D printer today  (Read 5278 times)

blusnowkitty

Bought a 3D printer today
« on: June 25, 2020, 03:14:33 am »

Just a little small something in the works.
You haven't lived until you've heard the sound of a Sony 400k drive.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
Re: Bought a 3D printer today
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 09:08:52 am »

Nice! You should sell some of those, there's plenty of Lisas that need expansion slot covers.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

blusnowkitty

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 11:22:02 am »

Alright here's some more details about what this something is because it was 2 AM when I made that post.

So yeah, got a 3D printer. I haven't been happy with just running my X/Profile cable through a slot out the back of my Lisa; it looks ugly. I'm working on making up a 3D printable DB-25 bracket that you can use for an X/Profile mounted internally to a 2/5, or for a Widget to DB-25 adapter for a 2/10. Also threw on the Lisa logo for added flare because why not? I'll also provide just a plain slot blank with the Lisa logo because I think it looks nice.

As for selling it? Nah, I'm just going to put it up on Thingiverse so anyone can download the models for free, print it if they have a printer, or pay a small fee to have them printed. With as expensive and hard to come by as Lisa parts are, I feel better helping people save money to keep these rare machines going and looking nice even if it is just a simple slot blank. I'm in vintage computing for the fun and excitement of it.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 01:14:49 pm »

So yeah, got a 3D printer. I haven't been happy with just running my X/Profile cable through a slot out the back of my Lisa; it looks ugly. I'm working on making up a 3D printable DB-25 bracket that you can use for an X/Profile mounted internally to a 2/5, or for a Widget to DB-25 adapter for a 2/10. Also threw on the Lisa logo for added flare because why not? I'll also provide just a plain slot blank with the Lisa logo because I think it looks nice.

As for selling it? Nah, I'm just going to put it up on Thingiverse so anyone can download the models for free, print it if they have a printer, or pay a small fee to have them printed. With as expensive and hard to come by as Lisa parts are, I feel better helping people save money to keep these rare machines going and looking nice even if it is just a simple slot blank. I'm in vintage computing for the fun and excitement of it.

Awesome. Yeah, I've got a 3D printer, a somewhat cheapo one that I got off monoprice for ~$250 a couple of years ago. Haven't used it much, I printed a 2"x2" elephant from a sample file it came with, and that took 3-4 hours to print, so haven't had a lot of incentive to fire it up. Likely that file needed some optimization, not sure.

I want to use a Xbox Kinect to scan in the Lisa parts and case and make open STLs as well, but not sure about how printing those will work as they're very large. Certainly such STLs can be used to print mini Lisa cases for Raspberry Pi's or toys. Ideally would be great to print replacement Lisa 1 or 2 faceplates, keyboard cases, Lisa 1 mouse cases, etc. but large parts will require sending off to a pro shop that has large, fast printers.

But yeah, I'll happily fire it up and print some plates.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

blusnowkitty

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 12:09:43 am »

I might tweak a few of the dimensions later on but it's more or less done now. Black PLA at my printer's lowest quality settings, which makes every layer 0.3mm tall. The only thing I have noticed is that the metal retaining clips on the back of the Lisa I/O panel need to be bent up slightly. This is probably just because I'm using the low quality print setting so the metal tab clip area is just a bit too high for stock tolerances. I'll try a slot blank sometime over the weekend when I can watch my printer for 4 hours on its highest setting - 0.08mm per layer!

Link to the models on Thingiverse are coming soon, apparently I have to wait a full 24 hours before I'm allowed to post anything.

stepleton

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 06:01:03 am »

bit of a chuckle from me at the Windows NT jewel case in the background  :D

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 09:57:07 am »

I might tweak a few of the dimensions later on but it's more or less done now. Black PLA at my printer's lowest quality settings, which makes every layer 0.3mm tall. The only thing I have noticed is that the metal retaining clips on the back of the Lisa I/O panel need to be bent up slightly. This is probably just because I'm using the low quality print setting so the metal tab clip area is just a bit too high for stock tolerances. I'll try a slot blank sometime over the weekend when I can watch my printer for 4 hours on its highest setting - 0.08mm per layer!

Looks very nice! I guess I'll have to find some PLA that's close to the Lisa's beige or get some paint mixed at the home depo

jamesdenton

• Administrator
  • ArcaneByte
    • ArcaneByte
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 01:11:43 pm »

Link to the models on Thingiverse are coming soon, apparently I have to wait a full 24 hours before I'm allowed to post anything.

Almost makes me want to buy a 3D printer. Nice work!

blusnowkitty

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 03:57:14 pm »

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4500927

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4500929

Have fun! You will need to scale these down by 10 because I don't know what I'm doing in OpenSCAD just yet. 1580.00mm should become 158.00mm. I used PLA with 0.3mm layers with my printer and I recommend printing it on the narrow side. Haven't tested smaller layers because that takes literally 4 hours to print, and I haven't tested ABS because I have no way of doing fume extraction right now.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 05:40:18 pm »

Thank you! This is awesome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up