General Category > LisaList2

LOS backdoor trampoline that can turn on supervisor mode

<< < (2/2)

blusnowkitty:

--- Quote from: rayarachelian on August 31, 2020, 10:25:06 am ---Ah yes, the infamous Catalina/Vista edition of LOS

--- End quote ---
Hey at least in Windows, UAC lets you run the program anyway without having to go to the Control Panel and manually adding the program to an allowed list :D

--- Quote from: rayarachelian on August 31, 2020, 10:24:18 am ---As I reread the OS manual for LOS, I'm convinced these guys were familiar with Unix and implemented something similar. The odd thing is the use of - instead of / as a file system separator, and the device names hanging off the file system is a lot like Windows NT, so possibly there was some VMS influence there too? (i.e. see EXEC call, named pipes, directory reading calls, etc.)
--- End quote ---
I seem to remember the Lisa team being mostly a bunch of mainframe and minicomputer guys so to me it makes sense that they'd be pulling in mainframe and minicomputer ideas into the hardware and software. The Lisa's MMU is discreet logic because the 68000 had no concept of memory protection, no? And yeah, I've read all the underlying OS documents and it just screams that the software team was trying to be so forward-thinking - but that, and probably trying to pull in mainframe and minicomputer features into a micro probably was part of why the darned thing ran so slow in my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version