LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BLU and HyperTerminal  (Read 25 times)

blusnowkitty

BLU and HyperTerminal
« on: Yesterday at 07:44:58 pm »

Has anyone ever had any luck dumping diskettes and transferring them with HyperTerminal? I replaced my SCC today and while all the replacements I got all now work fine for simply bashing on the keyboard to make text pop out of either end, I cannot either end to see an Xmodem transfer.

For the curious: I suspect my original SCC is one of those infamous faulty chips sold as NOS - there's no evidence of sanding, but the legs were all suspiciously tinned. Oh well, I have a bunch of very pretty ceramic and gold SCCs now, so I'm happy.
You haven't lived until you've heard the sound of a Sony 400k drive.

sigma7

• Administrator
  • Warning: Memory errors found. Verify comments.
Re: BLU and HyperTerminal
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:59:59 pm »

any luck ... with HyperTerminal?

The BLU manual says:

NOTE: HyperTerminal won't work for bootstrapping as it mangles CR/LF combinations!

Which seems sufficiently specific that it might do an xmodem transfer ok, but it could also mean it was a non-starter and so wasn't considered worth testing -- sorry I don't recall.

Given no progress in either direction, I'd guess it is a handshaking issue.

In any case, trying an alternative may be informative.

Good luck!

edit:

This post from Ray implies that HyperTerminal could work, but doesn't confirm he tested it.

edit 2:

In a 2007-02-01 email exchange with Ray there is this comment:

HyperTerminal rejects the data UNLESS you wait until a couple of timeout failures pass; whence it switches from CRC to checksum; if you start sending then it works ok.

It may be that was before BLU understood CRC, but it seems worth trying.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:08:13 pm by sigma7 »
Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.

patrick

• Patrick's Hardware Page
Re: BLU and HyperTerminal
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:11:28 am »

The version of Hyperterminal that comes with Windows XP works fine with both BLU and UsbWdEx XMODEM transfers. This runs on the lab notebook I'm using with vintage computer hardware
Pages: [1]   Go Up