General Category > LisaList2

List of All Lisa Software

(1/15) > >>

blusnowkitty:
Was looking at ToastyTech's old pages on Lisa screenshots, and found where he asked if anyone had a list of all the software developed for the Lisa. So I decided to take a shot at it and was actually quite surprised at what I found - did anyone realize there was potentially this much software available? I'm sure much of it is vaporware but it seems to hint at how rich the future could have been.

Sources are what's generally available on the Internet, and a couple of docs from Bitsavers. There's also a few other links to Google Books which I think at least indicates certain titles were available to purchase - whether anyone actually did is another story.

Let me know if anyone has any sort of proof any of the titles here existed or if there's any more concrete evidence for some of the ones I think made it to market!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1STG0Le_8dMHRLf026x6YfXzRQm2hD0igeZVb2Hx0Lxo/edit?usp=sharing

rayarachelian:
I mean... https://lisafaq.sunder.net/single.html#lisafaq-sw-los_about

Best proof is to get disk images up on bitsavers and other places. :)

Some updates to your spreadsheet:

IDOL and Thoroughbred accounting software is for Xenix. I have disks for these but they have errors and won't image properly

There is a C language addon for LPW, that exists, there are docs on bitsavers for it.

Don't know about a Xenix SDK, but the development disks for it are part of the xenix distro, so presumably that's part of it. I don't know if a separate SDK was available.

Lex I think is the unix lex command, i.e. flex/yacc, etc. see: https://arcb.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/codeopt/codeopt00/y_man.pdf - I don't think this is a word processor. It's used to build syntax for languages and help build compilers.

blusnowkitty:

--- Quote from: rayarachelian on September 23, 2020, 09:18:00 pm ---I mean... https://lisafaq.sunder.net/single.html#lisafaq-sw-los_about

Best proof is to get disk images up on bitsavers and other places. :)

Some updates to your spreadsheet:

IDOL and Thoroughbred accounting software is for Xenix. I have disks for these but they have errors and won't image properly

There is a C language addon for LPW, that exists, there are docs on bitsavers for it.

Don't know about a Xenix SDK, but the development disks for it are part of the xenix distro, so presumably that's part of it. I don't know if a separate SDK was available.

Lex I think is the unix lex command, i.e. flex/yacc, etc. see: https://arcb.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/codeopt/codeopt00/y_man.pdf - I don't think this is a word processor. It's used to build syntax for languages and help build compilers.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for this, I've updated my list. The largest source was the February 1984 Marketing Binder up on Bitsavers starting at Page 268. The "XENIX SDK" in my document is a little bit shaky admittedly; the Apple document lists a separate "XENIX Software Development Environment" as its own product, and the "Lex" product as a word processor. It could be the document's wrong; Wikipedia says that Yacc's first full spec was first published in '75 so it very well could be that this UniPlus Lex is an implementation of that. Hard to say without having the software...

I assume your IDOL and Thoroughbred disks are Sony 3.5" disks?

rayarachelian:

--- Quote from: blusnowkitty on September 23, 2020, 09:52:40 pm --- Apple document lists a separate "XENIX Software Development Environment" as its own product, and the "Lex" product as a word processor. It could be the document's wrong; Wikipedia says that Yacc's first full spec was first published in '75 so it very well could be that this UniPlus Lex is an implementation of that. Hard to say without having the software...

I assume your IDOL and Thoroughbred disks are Sony 3.5" disks?

--- End quote ---

Although it's possible, I'd be surprised if lex wasn't included in both Xenix and UniPlus as it's pretty standard.

Yes, IDOL/Thoroghbred disks are all 3.5" floppies, they came with a Lisa that had a Widget, and Tecmar Quad Port Serial card installed, and a batch of also deteriorating bad Xenix floppies. I'm pretty sure I imaged them with CopyIIMac to dc42 and set the ignore errors flag, but pretty much every single floppy had many bad sectors. (The Widget on this drive had MacWorks installed and Lotus Jazz, which is the one that's on Macintosh Garden now.)

One thing that's missing from the Lisa and hasn't ever surfaced was LisaPaint. It ofc became MacPaint, but I don't think it was ever released. I'd love it if it made its way to bitsavers. Possibly it was buggy or whatever, and then just got ported to the Mac.

Inversely, there was a MacDraw (as well as MacTerm, MacProject, MacWrite.) I don't think that Calc, Graph, List, were published for the Mac, likely because they would compete with MicroSoft Word, and Jazz, and other third party products, and drive away developers, or something.)

blusnowkitty:

--- Quote from: rayarachelian on September 24, 2020, 09:27:34 am ---Yes, IDOL/Thoroghbred disks are all 3.5" floppies, they came with a Lisa that had a Widget, and Tecmar Quad Port Serial card installed, and a batch of also deteriorating bad Xenix floppies. I'm pretty sure I imaged them with CopyIIMac to dc42 and set the ignore errors flag, but pretty much every single floppy had many bad sectors. (The Widget on this drive had MacWorks installed and Lotus Jazz, which is the one that's on Macintosh Garden now.)

One thing that's missing from the Lisa and hasn't ever surfaced was LisaPaint. It ofc became MacPaint, but I don't think it was ever released. I'd love it if it made its way to bitsavers. Possibly it was buggy or whatever, and then just got ported to the Mac.

Inversely, there was a MacDraw (as well as MacTerm, MacProject, MacWrite.) I don't think that Calc, Graph, List, were published for the Mac, likely because they would compete with MicroSoft Word, and Jazz, and other third party products, and drive away developers, or something.)

--- End quote ---

Thanks, got all that added as well. I've also found this article which had a couple test apps listed for development; if I'm going to list the BBC weather app why not any known internal apps too? Smalltalk-80's in there as well now. Interestingly there's a mention of "Lisa Unix" there - I have to wonder if that was a working title for XENIX or UniPlus, or if Apple themselves licensed and intended to port UNIX.

Also, I noticed that Lisa Workshop C made it to Bitsavers just a couple months ago so I might have to see about playing with that to see if you can write Office System applications in Lisa C. Pascal is interesting; I don't really know the syntax but I do a lot of C# work and well, Pascal just feels like a much more primitive version of that. http://bitsavers.org/bits/Apple/Lisa/c/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version