LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2019.06.07 fixed NChat for the "Curve" theme, will eventually move it to its own page and add it to the default theme as well. Other plugins are next. see post in the Meta board for details

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mac was introduced 35 years ago today  (Read 1109 times)

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • "But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game"
    • LisaEm
The Mac was introduced 35 years ago today
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:15:29 am »

Introduction of the Mac: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQ5XwvjPmA

... "It is now 1984, IBM wants it all"...
1984 Commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQ5XwvjPmA
... "On January 24, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh, and you'll see why 1984, won't be like 1984" ...

... "Hello, I am Macintosh, it sure is nice to get out of that bag" ...
and of course, a year later, the Lisa become the Mac XL :P and discontinued a year after that.
Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'  The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com
Re: The Mac was introduced 35 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 11:03:33 am »

Yes, I remember the announcement that day very clearly.  I worked for a large Apple dealer at time and we had a VHS tape (the YouTube of the time) of the commercial that we would show to customers in our showroom.  Working for the dealer, Apple offered employees a discount called the "own-a-Mac" program.  With the deal you could purchase a Macintosh, ImageWriter, a carry case, and coupons for a lot of software for $945.  A good deal, the idea was that if the folks in the store owned and used a Macintosh, they would be better selling them.  I guess the plan worked, I am still on-board with these products 35 years later.
Rick
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:13:27 am by Lisa2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up