LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2019.06.07 fixed NChat for the "Curve" theme, will eventually move it to its own page and add it to the default theme as well. Other plugins are next. see post in the Meta board for details

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motherboard Revisions  (Read 101 times)

blusnowkitty

Motherboard Revisions
« on: November 15, 2020, 08:58:08 pm »

Curiosity question here - Saw this 2/5 on eBay today and am wondering what's up with the motherboard? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Lisa-2-for-Parts-or-Repair-SCREEN-TURNS-ON-read-description/393017216720

Specifically, the port label - anyone know when those icons were introduced? Looks like the 2/10 had them; perhaps it was a transitional thing from the /5 to the /10? These pictures of a 1 don't seem to include the port icons, and my 2/5 is similarly text-only. http://www.macgeek.org/museum/applelisa1/
You haven't lived until you've heard the sound of a Sony 400k drive.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • "But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game"
    • LisaEm
Re: Motherboard Revisions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 05:34:01 pm »

Yup, this started with the 2/10. Likely so it matches the Mac 128 port icons:

(from http://facstaff.cbu.edu/~cyelving/Mac128.html )
I'd guess this was done to a) stick with the graphical/icon theme, and b) English only text wouldn't go as well in the non-English speaking world.
Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'  The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

stepleton

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 05:37:49 pm »

Wild guess: Non-US Lisas had keyboards with international symbols on various keys instead of "Return", "Clear", "Shift" and so on. Maybe these labels with symbols were originally for non-US machines?

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 10:35:07 am »

This is kind of interesting, I have four Lisa 2/5 card cages and three of them have text only descriptions for the ports, and one has both text and icon's like the one in the eBay listing.  At first I thought maybe that early systems may have been text only ( identified by having a Lisa mouse port with clips and not screws ), but  of my boards the one with the Lisa mouse port also has the icons.  ::)  This system came from Sun Remarking and they mixed and matched a lot of components,  so I don't know if this was originally from a international system. 

On the lower corners of this sticker there are some part numbers, I will dig a little deeper and see if they indicate some sort of revision level. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up