General Category > LisaList2

TCP for MacWorks

(1/5) > >>

D.Finni:
I have a new TCP/IP stack and some applications which are designed to work on a Lisa 2 running MacWorks. The applications are a POP3 email client (just a slim prototype) and an HTTP/1.1 client.

Read about the project here: Sabina TCP

Owners of a Lisa 2 with MacWorks who are interested in beta testing can send me an email to df@macgui.com and I will send you the latest version on a 3.5" DiskCopy 4.2 image.

rayarachelian:

--- Quote from: D.Finni on January 27, 2021, 07:57:56 pm ---I have a new TCP/IP stack and some applications which are designed to work on a Lisa 2 running MacWorks. The applications are a POP3 email client (just a slim prototype) and an HTTP/1.1 client.

Read about the project here: Sabina TCP

--- End quote ---

Excellent!

stepleton:
Very impressive to fit TCP/IP into under 8K, so fewer than 4000 instructions. I'd be curious to know how you've done it :)

It's interesting to see TLS 1.3 as a possible future feature. Alongside the development of the Crypto Ancienne library supporting TLS 1.2, there was some very inconclusive speculation as to what the minimal system capable of doing TLS might be. The Crypto Ancienne github page reports a connection taking 22 seconds on a Mac IIci (25 MHz '030), and although it's a C implementation, I expect TLS may be beyond the Lisa's reach even in assembly. (Similarly, AmiSSL for Amiga appears to require '020 or better, though that's only based on what some forum person is saying.)

Anyway, my hat is still off to you, and I would love to be proved wrong!

rayarachelian:
might be worth having an external box do the SSL, like this thing: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67165

but would love to see this ported to LOS.

D.Finni:
Re: code-size. Partly that's just the nature of 68000 assembly. Also, all my subroutines are register-based. Very early in April I almost decided to use stack-based parameter passing but decided not too because of the instruction overhead of LINK/UNLK, etc.

Re: TLS 1.3. The RFC specifies the minimum cipher needed for interoperability is AES. I've got an AES in 68000 assembly, but it probably needs to be modified to work in CBC and ECB modes. I'm not interested in speculating or guessing about whether it "will work" on a 68000; instead I prefer to write the code and find out first hand.

Other solutions that I have under consideration are stunnel and SOCKS5 proxy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version