LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple Lisa 2/10 starting up with Profile only; red light stays on  (Read 7107 times)

stepleton

Re: Apple Lisa 2/10 starting up with Profile only; red light stays on
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 05:44:55 pm »

All right, I tried both of my ProFiles on parallel cards on my 2/10 and on my Lisa 1, and they both behave the way that's described in the original post. The READY light remains on until you power up the Lisa, and then it starts the surface scan.

Two ProFiles, two Lisas, two parallel port cards. (Same cable though.) It could be this is just standard behaviour.

mactjaap

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 06:48:05 pm »

Thank you very much for testing! Good to know that this seems to be standard.

cheesestraws

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 07:11:20 pm »

My newly not-quite-resurrected-but-no-longer-actively-emitting-black-smoke profile does exactly the same; red light is solid until the Lisa is turned on, then the surface scan happens.  Tried with two different cables.  So perhaps this is just how it is?

mactjaap

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 08:04:44 am »

I think it is....
I forgot to tell them in this modus the disk makes a terrible noise. Frightening... is if the disk will break any moment. If I turn on the Lisa the disk just works normal and without the terrible noise.

stepleton

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 03:01:19 pm »

This is surprising --- there should be no difference to how the drive operates mechanically whether the Lisa is connected or not. What kind of terrible noise? If it's some kind of buzz I could imagine something strange like the stepper motor for the head doing some wild behaviour (for reasons unknown), but if it's the usual ProFile grinding or squealing then my instinct would be to suspect a coincidence. Can you describe the sound?

mactjaap

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 04:46:30 pm »

Will try to record. In my remembrance it sounded terrible. But maybe my ears are over sensitive if it is about my precious device.

blusnowkitty

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 09:08:27 am »

All right, I tried both of my ProFiles on parallel cards on my 2/10 and on my Lisa 1, and they both behave the way that's described in the original post. The READY light remains on until you power up the Lisa, and then it starts the surface scan.

Two ProFiles, two Lisas, two parallel port cards. (Same cable though.) It could be this is just standard behaviour.

I just got a 5MB ProFile last night and I too am seeing this on my 2/5 - if I connect the disk to the built-in parallel port, I can turn the disk on and it will self-test no problem. But if I connect it to either port of my parallel card, the READY light immediately goes solid as long as the Lisa is off. When I turn on my Lisa, then the self-test starts and runs for about 3 seconds and then I assume the Lisa's self-test sends a RESET to the parallel card causing the self-test to instantly stop.

The difference for me seems to be that once the self-test gets interrupted, the ProFile logic seems unable to recover and it leaves the head assembly only a few steps away from the end stop where the light sensor is, and never goes back to the beginning of the disk on its own which means I have to shut the disk off, pull it apart and manually rotate the heads back to the beginning of the disk. My X/ProFile doesn't seem to have this issue, but then again it's a solid state emulator...
You haven't lived until you've heard the sound of a Sony 400k drive.

compu_85

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 06:14:47 pm »

You should never, ever have to move the head stepper manually on a Profile*. Also, it's a bad idea to move the heads across the disk while it's stopped! \

I recall seeing something like that on my systems.... I ether wait to turn the disk on until the self test is underway, or hit space and wait for the startup from menu, let the profile finish doing its thing, then continue.

*If the profile has been sitting for a very long time and the grease has gummed up, you can unplug the electronics from the drive and power the spindle motor. Once the drive is up to speed then you can move the heads by hand and get the grease flowing again in the stepper bearings. When done, move the arm to the furthest spot from the LEDs, and power down.

-J
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up