General Category > LisaList2

How did you find your Lisa?

<< < (3/3)

cheesestraws:
Mine was an eBay 2/10, listed as "mostly working" and "unique" because of its marble paint job, allegedly done at the behest of Apple PR.  Reasonably pricy, but was shown booting from a floppy and came with a big swathe of other bits and bobs (spare cards, ProFile that "emitted black smoke", hello, RIFA caps) and a couple of keyboards and manuals.

I'm still immensely curious as to whether its woodgrain-painted compatriot is still in existence somewhere...

rayarachelian:

--- Quote from: cheesestraws on March 02, 2021, 07:45:50 am ---Mine was an eBay 2/10, listed as "mostly working" and "unique" because of its marble paint job, allegedly done at the behest of Apple PR

--- End quote ---

Can we trouble you to post some photos? Never seen this before.

--- Quote from: cheesestraws on March 02, 2021, 07:45:50 am ---Reasonably pricy, but was shown booting from a floppy and came with a big swathe of other bits and bobs (spare cards, ProFile that "emitted black smoke", hello, RIFA caps) and a couple of keyboards and manuals.

I'm still immensely curious as to whether its woodgrain-painted compatriot is still in existence somewhere...

--- End quote ---

I'm sure the price of that Lisa has gone up a lot over the years (and ofc, due to inflation it's value has stayed constant.) Yeah, those caps are very annoying.

cheesestraws:

--- Quote from: rayarachelian on March 02, 2021, 09:27:06 am ---Can we trouble you to post some photos? Never seen this before.

--- End quote ---

Certainly, I've attached some here.  They don't come out incredibly well on camera, but in person it's really rather nicely done and quite striking.

The story I was told is that this had been an Apple-owned machine that was being used at classy launch events in the UK as a front desk / administrative machine, and they wanted it to look classy.  They had two Lisae for use in this capacity, so they had one painted in marble, and one in woodgrain.

I don't have any particular reason to doubt this, though obviously it's probably unverifiable.  The paint job has been extremely nicely and professionally done, and that paint job was obviously done before the machine was most heavily used, as especially on the mouse the marks of wear are very pronounced, and much of the marbled paint has worn away to show a white undercoat underneath.  The same appears to be true of the keyboard, where the wearing-away of the paint is probably easiest explained by actual use.

--- Quote from: rayarachelian on March 02, 2021, 09:27:06 am ---I'm sure the price of that Lisa has gone up a lot over the years (and ofc, due to inflation it's value has stayed constant.) Yeah, those caps are very annoying.

--- End quote ---

I mean, by Lisa standards it wasn't excessive; the chap I got it off was fishing for someone who would take it on and fix it up and get it back running properly again.  So it wasn't stupid money, and was nowhere near what I see some being listed for, but it was still rather noticeably more than I would normally spend on an old computer, and was nowhere near the free or cheap ones other people have managed to score!

rayarachelian:
Wow, that is a really nice warm and friendly effect (even with the standard Lisa yellowing, etc.)

cheesestraws:
Yes, it's a very friendly presence.  If you'd have told me it existed before I got it, I'd have thought it sounded dreadfully tacky.  But it's a little warm friendly presence beside my desk in the corner of my office, and I like it there a lot :-).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version