LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ProFile earth wire  (Read 3657 times)

cheesestraws

ProFile earth wire
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:39:16 am »

I have been a bit of an idiot.

I took apart my ProFile to replace the RIFA caps in the PSU, and having put it back together I have somehow been left with a short green earth wire left over with a ring crimp terminal type affair on either end.  The photos I took to aid reconstruction have not helped.

This is significantly scarier than being left with an extra screw.

Does anyone have any idea where this ought to go?  All the metalwork does seem to be attached to mains earth, but I assume it was there for a reason...

stepleton

Re: ProFile earth wire
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:39:58 pm »

Being lazy I haven't opened my own drives up to inspect any wires for myself, but I did look at videos on YouTube to see if I could spot the proper placement of the cable you're puzzling over. I didn't have much luck. There is a grey wire that connects the hard drive housing to the mounting rails, which you can see here:

https://youtu.be/cRlQGrTwnHU?t=204

but nothing green. It's also possible that your cable is peculiar to a 220VAC model and that these YouTubers' American drives (and my own) do not have it.

cheesestraws

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 07:12:39 pm »

Yes, it's definitely colour coded "mains earth" (green/yellow stripes), and it isn't the one from the case of the PSU to the earth pin on the IEC socket.  On the grounds that the safety earth still seems to be intact everywhere it ought to be, I'm just going to... make this future cheesestraws' problem.

patrick

• Patrick's Hardware Page
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 03:38:12 pm »

Does anyone have any idea where this ought to go?  All the metalwork does seem to be attached to mains earth, but I assume it was there for a reason...

Some units have a ground wire between the power supply box and the HDA mechanism. If you look at the front of the ProFile, one end is attached to the top threaded hole on the right side of the power supply, and the other end goes to a hole on the back of the left HDA chassis frame. If this is your cable, then you should also have two screws and a nut left over.
Pages: [1]   Go Up