LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workshop  (Read 15044 times)

D.Finni

Re: Workshop
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 04:57:44 pm »

I've located some original Workshop Supplement disks (perhaps no longer in working order) and found so far:

Set 1:
I think the disks in Set 1, from 1984, would be worth a shot.

sigma7

• Administrator
  • Warning: Memory errors found. Verify comments.
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 09:37:21 pm »

My scanned floppies database says I scanned these disks in 2001 (with corresponding filenames shown), so they should be trivial to provide once I find the drive with the image files on them:

Mac Supplement , 5/85 Mac Build Disk                          1884.img
Mac Supplement, 5/85 MacStuff 4                              1885.img
Mac Supplement , 5/85 MacStuff 3                              1886.img
Mac Supplement , 5/85 MacStuff 2                              1887.img
Mac Supplement, 5/85 MacStuff 1                              1888.img
Mac Supplement, 5/85 Examples 2                              1889.img
Mac Supplement , 5/85 Examples 1                              1890.img

Mac Supplement, Feb 85 MacBuild                              1891.img
Mac Supplement , Feb 85 MacStuff 4                            1892.img
Mac Supplement , Feb 85 MacStuff 3                            1893.img
Mac Supplement , Feb 85 MacStuff 5 , Bad Blocks track 78/77    1894.img
Mac Supplement , Feb 85 MacStuff 1                            1895.img
Mac Supplement , Feb 85 MacStuff 2                            1896.img

Mac Supplement, Nov 84 MacStuff 4                            1897.img
Mac Supplement, MacStuff 3                                   1898.img
Mac Supplement, MacStuff 2                                   1899.img
Mac Supplement, MacStuff 1                                   1900.img

I suspect these are all in Mac format.
My estimate is that the last 4 are from the Nov '84 set.

BTW, I've now found (condition unknown):

From Set 1:
MacSupplement 2, Workshop 2.0, LisaDisk.
MacWorks, LisaDisk
MacWorks with, LisaBug, LisaDisk

From Set 2:
MacWorks, LISA Disk, February '85
- with my handwriting "XL 2.0"

Edit:
Formatting fix as Preview wasn't working  :-\

Edit2:
Found more floppies
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:25:31 am by sigma7 »
Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.

sigma7

• Administrator
  • Warning: Memory errors found. Verify comments.
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 06:38:30 pm »

All the disks scanned fine, so AFAICT, this 7MB archive contains all of the Mac Supplement disks that I ever received:

drive.google.com/file/d/1JbWRuPRUThtsSQPC5uZ1SEOlTcG9U0wR/view?usp=sharing

Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.

D.Finni

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 07:01:40 pm »

Thanks. I will try the ones from 1984 and see if I can build a Macintosh application that runs without bombing. ;-)
By the way, people running Mac OS X can build MFSLives, the file system plugin for MFS, and mount these old MFS disks in the Finder. Comes in handy.

Regarding the Lisa file system, I spent about two days reverse engineering the v3 Lisa file system by creating new files and catalogs using the Workshop File Manager, then examining the changes to the on-disk data structures. I'm not sure it's actually a B-Tree structure, as some others have stated. I also found this little graphic (attached below).

Once the MDDF is located, I think it's possible to walk the entire volume and access every file without the aid of tags. But I still need to identify and resolve a few more data structures.

Looking forward to Apple's approval of the Lisa OS source release so we can have a better understanding of the file structures...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:11:26 pm by D.Finni »

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 07:38:04 pm »

Yeah, I'm doing the same thing, and will add to lisafsh-tool as well as create a tool to rebuild the tags.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

D.Finni

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 02:12:02 am »

Yeah, I'm doing the same thing, and will add to lisafsh-tool as well as create a tool to rebuild the tags.
OK, we can compare notes. Here are three new discoveries:

- MDDF offset 158 contains the next file ID to use when creating a new file. After you delete a file, that file's ID is stored here, I assume in an effort to keep file IDs contiguous.

- Files and subdirectories (or sub-catalogs) have a separate ID numbering space. It is possible to have a file and a subdirectory with the same ID.

- Within the file attributes of a normal file entry (64 bytes long), bit 2 set is the safety switch (locked), bits 0 and 1 is protection, and bit 5 is set if the file was closed by the system

claunia

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 05:34:21 am »

It's already been reverse engineered:

https://github.com/discimagechef/DiscImageChef/tree/master/DiscImageChef.Filesystems/LisaFS

The only thing pending to do is the Office System catalog file (where it stores the relationship between real files and GUI files, as well as GUI positioning, etc)

claunia

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 05:36:30 am »

Thanks. I will try the ones from 1984 and see if I can build a Macintosh application that runs without bombing. ;-)
By the way, people running Mac OS X can build MFSLives, the file system plugin for MFS, and mount these old MFS disks in the Finder. Comes in handy.

Regarding the Lisa file system, I spent about two days reverse engineering the v3 Lisa file system by creating new files and catalogs using the Workshop File Manager, then examining the changes to the on-disk data structures. I'm not sure it's actually a B-Tree structure, as some others have stated. I also found this little graphic (attached below).

Once the MDDF is located, I think it's possible to walk the entire volume and access every file without the aid of tags. But I still need to identify and resolve a few more data structures.

Looking forward to Apple's approval of the Lisa OS source release so we can have a better understanding of the file structures...

It is a B-Tree but you will never see it creating leaves unless you use Workshop 3 to create nested catalogs or fill the disc with thousands of files. Each directory block is 4096 bytes, the end of it is a footer with pointers to next, siblings, etc.

D.Finni

Tried the 1984 Workshop 2.0 disks, no joy
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 01:13:39 am »

I've located some original Workshop Supplement disks (perhaps no longer in working order) and found so far:

Set 1:
I think the disks in Set 1, from 1984, would be worth a shot.
I tried the 1984 Workshop 2.0 Supplement Disks, and the short story is: no joy; the application still crashes on the Mac 512K.

The long story:

I installed Workshop 2.0 on a new ProFILE image in LisaEm. I then copied the contents of the MacSupplement Lisa Workshop 2.0 disks, named BB1401.img thru BB1408.img

The "Samp" application wasn't on these disks, but "Boxes" was, and it included an Exec file (Example/BoxesX.text) so I ran that. Evereything looked fine-- I got the usual sequence of Pascal compiler, code generator, linker, resource compiler, and MacCom.

But when I mounted the resulting disk on the Mac 512K and ran the Boxes application, it crashed the same way with a 1111 Err. I disassembled the code using MacsBug and I saw a lot of garbage in between the legitimate 68000 instructions. I saw the toolbox traps. There is a lot more garbage in the code compared to what I saw coming out of Workshop 3.x. :o

Apple distributed a pre-built copy of the Boxes application, which works of course, so I was able to disassemble that to see what the code should look like.

So, it's looking more like an emulator fault, as it's hard to believe that Apple would ship an example application with Exec file that would compile to garbage and crash on the Mac.  :-\

Thanks for digging out these disks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:15:29 am by D.Finni »

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 06:54:12 pm »

??? so all these things, the thumbs for the scroll bars being in the wrong place, the duplicated entries in the Desktop menu, the extra inserted junk instructions make me think that the results of some math operation somewhere is slightly larger than it should be.
You didn't see less code being inserted, you saw more, and stuff that shouldn't have been there. It still doesn't help pinpoint what it is exactly, but it is another clue. Some opcode in very specific but unknown contexts is returning a larger result than wanted. Whether mul/div/add or shift. Some ALU related opcode produces a result larger than it should, and that's used in a loop.

You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up