LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2019.06.07 fixed NChat for the "Curve" theme, will eventually move it to its own page and add it to the default theme as well. Other plugins are next. see post in the Meta board for details

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: audible apple lisa podcast - meh  (Read 58 times)

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • "But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game"
    • LisaEm
audible apple lisa podcast - meh
« on: March 31, 2021, 12:31:59 pm »

Just discovered that audible has a computer history podcast here: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-History-of-Computing-Podcast/episodes/B08JJPXWZS

and there's an episode about the Lisa here: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Apple-Lisa-Podcast/B08VNHPT7N ~16mins

Seems a bit, um,"fluffy", it's not terribly off factually, but it doesn't go deep, instead, it glosses over a lot of stuff that made the Lisa important, saying the Lisa project ran over budget like most projects at Apple would for the next 10 years, and ignores most of the innovation and development of the Lisa and jumps to the end, only mentioning sales and R&D costs. To be fair, it does mention that the Mac couldn't have existed without the Lisa, but just barely.

It also lionizes the original Mac 128K, ignoring the horrors of having to repeatedly swap floppies, and how useless it was without an external floppy drive and only 128K of RAM. Rather, saying of the Mac that "the machine was faster, OS was cleaner, it was prettier, and software developers flocked to it, was smaller, boxier, it was just better." That may have been true after the 512KE, and certainly around the era of the Mac Plus where hard drives started to be more common, and these machines had finally gotten more RAM.

So this is coming from someone who hasn't experienced, or researched these machines, but rather is summarizing some unmentioned sources.

If you were to set up an original Mac 128 without an external floppy and the first mac System it shipped with and tried to do anything with it, you'd want to shoot yourself at the amount of floppy swapping you needed to do. As slow as a Lisa was, a Lisa with an external profile is very usable and functional, and nowhere near as annoying, and moving stuff from LisaDraw to LisaWrite is a pleasure.
Trying to copy and paste from MacPaint/Draw to MacWrite on a Mac 128 will cause you to want to pull your hair out. (It's not so terrible if you have an external floppy, or use a 512KE, or a 512KE with the HD20 but those came much later.)

Even lacking access to a real Mac 128, he might have set up mini vMac and limit it to 128K and then started to use it to see what it was like vs Lisa Office System, and it would have given him first hand experience in the subject matter. Or he could have asked people who had experienced both. Rather he just bought in to what was in print before, most likely based off PR from Apple.

Narration is slow and it feels like it's being read, much like most Audible books - that's not a knock against it, as much as contrast to most podcasts I listen to, which sound more like a conversation rather than a teleprompter or book reading. At one point the reader/author mis-pronounced "Palo Alto" as "Pay-loh Alto" instead of "Pah-Loh Alto", ignoring it's Spanish etymology.

My personal rating for this is 1 classic Homer Simpson "Meh::)

Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'  The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

MickeyScott1

Re: audible apple lisa podcast - meh
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 11:04:37 pm »

I had a Macintosh 128, and the next Mac I bought was the Mac XL that I have described in the forum.

The Mac 128 did not work well with Mac Write. I found that WriteNow worked better. With an external floppy drive, the disk swapping was reduced. In fairness to the Mac 128, personal computers were generally primitive back then in the early 1980s, so I guess the Mac 128 was all right. I was a graduate student at UC Berkeley, and Macs were everywhere in the computer lab, so it was possible to use a laser printer to print a term paper when these printers were still rare, and not yet easily available for the IBM PC.

(Woz was a student at UC Berkeley back then, and told one of my professors who bought a Mac, "You should have bought an IBM PC.")

As an old man, (58 years old), it is frustrating to see people making videos or podcasts who did not have the experience with a Mac 128 in 1984!

But again, at the time, 1984, the Mac 128 was a cool machine compared to text based computers. Recall, CP/M computers were still popular back then!!

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • "But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game"
    • LisaEm
Re: audible apple lisa podcast - meh
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:21:34 pm »

Oh wow, this one got it right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e74F0gVuTs
Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'  The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
Pages: [1]   Go Up