LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2019.06.07 fixed NChat for the "Curve" theme, will eventually move it to its own page and add it to the default theme as well. Other plugins are next. see post in the Meta board for details

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lisa Tank Problem  (Read 501 times)

blusnowkitty

Re: Lisa Tank Problem
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 08:28:14 pm »

Congratulations on owning the earliest and the oldest production Lisa :)
You haven't lived until you've heard the sound of a Sony 400k drive.

conmega

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 06:57:29 am »

Congratulations on owning the earliest and the oldest production Lisa :)

Heh well it may be the lowest and highest Applenet number known currently. Obviously my "earliest" has a MFG date of: 82355 where as Applenet: 00100067 & 00100271 both have a MFG date of: 82020
I also find it interesting that it seems Applenet ids 00102xxx all seem to match the lower numbers of the S/Ns. As if they reset at 2000?
Also my 2/10 (00111264) has a MFG date of: 4197 where as there are quite a few later in '84 as-well.

Obviously the SNs can't be sequential, the Applenet's appear to be but not in terms of manufacture date. Where Lisas made in more than one plant? If so maybe each plant was given ranges to manufacture? Where I work I believe this is how we function. Lets say Plant A/B can make 100 units a week and Plant C can make 200 units a week. So Plant A gets range 0-100 Plant B gets range 200-300, Plant C gets 300-500. Once the week is over new ranges can be given based on what was actually manufactured and databases can be kept tracking back which plant manufactured which machines.

This would explain the date weirdness, AND if it was manufactured in multiple plants would explain how they could then trace back which plant manufactured which unit.

Purely speculative of-course.

blusnowkitty

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 09:25:45 am »

Where Lisas made in more than one plant? If so maybe each plant was given ranges to manufacture? Where I work I believe this is how we function.

I've heard, admittedly totally unsourced, that the Lisa was first manufactured in Apple's plant in California and then was later transferred to the Apple II plant in Texas.

If we assume that B08B was the California plant and A was the Texas plant then based on this data it seems to me that manufacturing started around February 1982 in California, then by early 1983 they were running both the California and the Texas lines side-by-side, and finally by mid-1983 manufacturing moved completely to Texas.

blusnowkitty

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 10:40:15 pm »

Did another huge update by digging through old WorthPoint archives... We're currently sitting at around 11,300 systems made as Lisas. Still doesn't account for any of the Mac XLs made in 1985; are we even sure they had serial numbers?

Something else I've noticed is that while AppleNet numbers seem to be sequential, the serial numbers sure aren't.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up