LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lisa Tank Problem  (Read 28437 times)

RebeccaRGB

• KreativeKorp
Re: Lisa Tank Problem
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2022, 12:39:46 pm »

The first one is a 2/10. I'm not sure what the second one is because when I got it it had a Widget cable plugged into a LisaLite card. :o

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2022, 04:46:43 pm »

The first one is a 2/10. I'm not sure what the second one is because when I got it it had a Widget cable plugged into a LisaLite card. :o

EEP!

At least one of those is clearly a 2/10 mobo with a 2/10 I/O board, likely they both are. Not sure what that Lite card is doing there, but it shouldn't be there. If the cable fits into it, it's the wrong chassis for a 2/10 though the right I/O + mobo. So you might need to modify the lite board to work if it doesn't. (I had one of those, I eventually fixed it.)

Edit: to clarify, the internal power + data cables coming out of the motherboard and going to the CRT, power supply, power button, twiggies vs widget+floppy are different between 2/10s vs Lisa 1+Lisa 2 or 2/5s.

If you have a 2/10 Chassis with the widget connector and plug in a widget, but your I/O board and motherboard are from a 2/5, the widget will short out the power supply each time you try to turn on the Lisa. This can be fixed by replacing those two internal cable harnesses which are hidden behind the CRT. However as the motherboard of the 2/5 has an external parallel port, this external parallel port should work.

(Alternatively you can replace the motherboard and I/O board with ones from a 2/10, but this is harder as I/O boards are hard to find these days.)

You should be able to tell the type of chassis by the cables available in the floppy bay. If you see two narrow cables and two power plugs, that's a Lisa 2, or 2/5. If you see one wide cable and one narrow cable, and a single wide power connector, that's a 2/10 chassis - the wide cable is for the widget, the narrow goes directly to the floppy drive without the Lite PCB.

It is possible to use a 2/10 I/O board in a 2/5 chassis and with a 2/5 motherboard; you'd have to modify the Lite card with two jumpers (or buy a pre jumpered board: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143173144110 )

Theoretically, it may be possible to alter the 2/5 I/O ROM to allow 2 drives again, and maybe it would be possible to use two Lite cards in a 2/5 with two drives. Maybe even modify it to also allow 800k drives, and modify the LOS 800k driver to recognize two drives: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/lisa-office-system-800k-driver . But I've never tested this - still would be interesting. (Not that you can easily mount two floppy drives in the cage, and you'd need to run with the faceplate off and the interlock switch plugged.)

There were also two resistors removed from the I/O boards in the transition from Twiggy to Sony, however, I don't know what those do. If their removal disables the top port, then they'd need to be added back in, if they just allow the Sony drive(s) to work, likely they can be left out.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 01:10:14 pm by rayarachelian »
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

compu_85

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2022, 12:26:22 am »

Added the Lisa 1 on display at LSSM in New Kensington, Pennsylvania.

This brings the number of Lisa 1s tracked on the sheet to 13.

-J

compu_85

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2023, 07:10:10 pm »

I added another Lisa 1 to the list. I also moved the incomplete data to another tab, and added a tab to do the calculations. If this doesn't work for others using the sheet I'm fine with putting it back :)

If I did the formula properly, the estimate is 11,649 machines produced.

Earlier this week at the CHM presentation the 90k number was floated again. It seems odd this is so far apart from what we're calculating.
One thing I wondered: Is it possible the 2700 that got crunched in the landfill were mostly sequential, and "off the top", throwing our calculation off?

-J

blusnowkitty

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2023, 09:37:08 am »

Looking good to me.

For what it's worth, I haven't been including the System Source Lisa in my estimations since everything I've seen about that system seems very late prototype to me.

Those 2700 in the Utah landfill are almost certainly throwing us off, as well as any that were built as Macintosh XLs until Apple shut down the production line in '85. Except for the top lid from that "Last Lisa Made" picture, I haven't seen any evidence that Mac XLs had the serial/Applenet sticker from the factory. I'm sure there's a good number of Lisas that got converted to Mac XLs later down the line by dealers or Sun Remarketing, and probably a number that lost their Applenet sticker due to age too.

Oh and I forgot, there's evidence that there was at least one serial number conflict during the Lisa years. Not sure if that's another issue since we have yet to see another conflict in the data we do have.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 09:44:41 am by blusnowkitty »
You haven't lived until you've heard the sound of a Sony 400k drive.

compu_85

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2023, 03:53:24 pm »

I think my 2/10 was sold as an XL - not 100% sure though.

Might be nice to get first hand info on this... We could ping the owner of Sun.

-J

D.Finni

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2023, 11:06:57 am »

Those 2700 in the Utah landfill are almost certainly throwing us off,
What's the source of this number, 2700? Has it been verified?

sigma7

• Administrator
  • Warning: Memory errors found. Verify comments.
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2023, 06:23:48 pm »

I haven't found an AAPL annual report for 1989 that might have an official number.

But as far as contemporary sources go, the Herald Journal apparently published an article in 1989, referred to here:
https://www.hjnews.com/opinion/editors-corner-logan-has-interesting-link-to-apple-computer-history/article_b71cddba-f7a0-11e0-8054-001cc4c002e0.html

800 cubic yards / 2700 Lisas is 8 cubic feet (about 0.23 cubic metres) per Lisa, which seems reasonable.

IIRC, in 1989/1990, the actual number disposed of was ambiguous/mysterious/secret.
Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.

sigma7

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2023, 06:41:40 pm »

I haven't seen any evidence that Mac XLs had the serial/Applenet sticker from the factory. I'm sure there's a good number of Lisas that got converted to Mac XLs later down the line by dealers.

I ordered a Lisa 2/10 / XL in Canada just as they were all being collected and returned to USA. When it arrived I was told that it was one of the last leaving and was lucky they could intercept it.

IIRC, it has an AppleNet sticker, but it isn't easily accessible to confirm that.

I think that there wasn't any difference between a Lisa 2/10 and a Macintosh XL other than the name, so there was nothing to convert. Maybe MacWorks was bundled with the XL, but that's a separate box.
Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.

jamesdenton

• Administrator
  • ArcaneByte
    • ArcaneByte
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2023, 10:19:46 pm »

I don't have edit permissions to the spreadsheet, so here's a bottom plate I came across today on the FB group:

Serial: B08B831610036
Applenet: 00103784
MFG: 83161

blusnowkitty

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2023, 09:29:52 am »

I think that there wasn't any difference between a Lisa 2/10 and a Macintosh XL other than the name, so there was nothing to convert. Maybe MacWorks was bundled with the XL, but that's a separate box.

I was under the impression that those sold as a Macintosh XL also had the MacWorks ROM set and the square pixel transformer installed, not that you couldn't remove those and go back to Lisa ROMs. Sounds like I'm wrong!
You haven't lived until you've heard the sound of a Sony 400k drive.

D.Finni

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2023, 11:55:43 am »

I haven't found an AAPL annual report for 1989 that might have an official number.

IIRC, in 1989/1990, the actual number disposed of was ambiguous/mysterious/secret.
This would be a great question to bring up now with the Lisa source release. Actually why not ask Couch or someone in the know from the Lisa team for the total number manufactured?

compu_85

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2023, 12:29:05 pm »

This sounds like a job for BitsaversMan!

sigma7

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2023, 12:52:25 pm »

I was under the impression that those sold as a Macintosh XL also had the MacWorks ROM set and the square pixel transformer installed, not that you couldn't remove those and go back to Lisa ROMs. Sounds like I'm wrong!

I believe Sun Remarketing was selling a "Macintosh XL" with the square pixel mod (and Kalok hard drive and Chinon 800k floppy drive, and the broken I/O ROM :) ), so you're not wrong.

I should have qualified that I think they were the same for the brief period that Apple was selling the Macintosh XL.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 12:54:28 pm by sigma7 »

fri0701

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2023, 06:23:20 pm »

This would be a great question to bring up now with the Lisa source release. Actually why not ask Couch or someone in the know from the Lisa team for the total number manufactured?

Even John Couch has been pretty inconsistent with this number.
I don't have access to his book right now, but in a past thread, Ray mentioned that Couch says "just over 100,000 units were produced": https://lisalist2.com/index.php/topic,203.msg1550.html#msg1550

In the CHM event at the end of last month, he said on video "We did sell 50,000 computers" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCvQbGXPtBU @18:45)

...both of which still sound pretty far off from the numbers we're seeing from the tank problem analysis.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up