LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Hard Drive  (Read 4897 times)

blusnowkitty

Weird Hard Drive
« on: June 10, 2021, 10:41:54 pm »

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/apple-lisa-computer-model-a6s0300-206648287

Well, it's obviously not a Widget or a SunRem MFM setup so... what is this thing? Maybe it's a SCSI hard drive for MacWorks?
You haven't lived until you've heard the sound of a Sony 400k drive.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
Re: Weird Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 11:33:23 pm »

No idea, all I can tell is this is a 2/5 as there's a LisaLite in there, and the floppy drive doesn't look like a 400k, maybe it's an 800k, if so it came from SunRem, which indeed did sell SCSI cards.

I've seen two types of SCSI cards in photos, some could mount the hard drive on the card itself and provided power from the card. It's possible SunRem made a custom sled and cables to allow it to use the power from the 2/5's harness and snake out a SCSI ribbon cable internally.

The 20/30/40M SunRem made drives have a 2nd board and use the same ProFile protocol. I don't see that board here - and it would be very obvious if it was there, so yeah, leaning towards SCSI. If there were photos of the back with the cover off, it would be a lot easier to tell.

The sled the drive's in seems pretty interesting as it's plastic. It might be a 3.5" to 5.25" PC sled, but drives from that era usually had brass ones - at least the ones I remember. This one seems to have two metal plates on the sides, possibly to bridge the distance for a Lisa drive cage vs a PC one?

There is a bar code on top of the drive, but it's fuzzy so you likely wouldn't be able to use it to get a part number - would be useful if we could.

You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

patrick

• Patrick's Hardware Page
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 09:55:38 am »

Well, it's obviously not a Widget or a SunRem MFM setup so... what is this thing? Maybe it's a SCSI hard drive for MacWorks?

Yes, this is a SCSI drive. I had one of these many years ago, but I do not remember the manufacturer.

Nice idea to use a 3,5" mounting frame for the drive. There is enough space in the card cage to fit a SCSI drive above or below an IDEfile or X/Profile with CF card.

compu_85

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 05:29:54 pm »

Looks like a Conner cp-3100 hard disk to me.

mactjaap

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 05:09:52 pm »

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 07:56:02 pm »

I think this one's a SunRem drive, they came in 20M, 30M, and 40M sizes, and they speak the same protocol as ProFiles. You can tell by the two ribbons. If you pull the drive out, you'll see the top board says Sun Remarketing and the bottom is going to be a regular MFM drive.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 05:21:22 pm »

I think this one's a SunRem drive....

I would say that is correct, it's a SunRem HD.  Another clue here is the SUN double sided floppy upgrade shown in that photo.

Rick

stepleton

Re: -
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 02:35:33 pm »

Anyone know about this? I heard it was coming out or is it out for the DS. Basically it acted as a hard drive that slid into the GBA slot. It was 4GB or something, and could play music/video, etc..

Or did I just make the whole thing up?

Also, are there any cool accessories out yet for the DS? Like... I heard something about wireless internet.

I think you have the wrong forum :)

This forum is for an old range of Apple computers from 1983 and 1984. Original versions of the computers could hypothetically support hard drives as large as 8.5 GiB, but none of the operating systems that were made for the machines would be able to support them.

Only beep noises are available, but you can watch video if you want.

Good luck finding what you're looking for!

brgl1983_00

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 12:22:46 pm »

Looks like a Conner cp-3100 hard disk to me.

Yes! Looks just like a Conner CP-3104 I still have. a little newer than lisa technology I think , mine from around 1991
Pages: [1]   Go Up