LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need HELP re: Lisa 2/5 vs. Lisa 2/10  (Read 75 times)

Markintosh

Need HELP re: Lisa 2/5 vs. Lisa 2/10
« on: Yesterday at 08:59:31 am »

Hello gang!

I have had a battery bombed Lisa 2/5 since June 2023. I just bought another Lisa2 I thought was a 2/10 bc the drive cage is from a 2/10.

HOWEVER: It seems my Computer is a 2/5. The 2/10 card cage is not compatible as the 2/5 edge connectors in the body have staggered depths, & the 2/10 seems to have evenly spaced connectors. 

The staggered connector is part of the Drive Cage/Power Switch harness.

I want to complete this unit as a 2/10. Are there any other differences in front of the 2/5's "firewall", such as the video card, that will prevent me from using the 2/10 card cage in this unit?

Thank you in advance!!

-Mark

sigma7

• Administrator
  • Warning: Memory errors found. Verify comments.
Re: Need HELP re: Lisa 2/5 vs. Lisa 2/10
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:19:16 pm »

I want to complete this unit as a 2/10. Are there any other differences in front of the 2/5's "firewall", such as the video card, that will prevent me from using the 2/10 card cage in this unit?

Chassis differences between the 2/5 and 2/10

Chassis 60 pin card edge connector
  • 2/5: mounted directly to the chassis. This results in the two card edge connectors of the 2/5 motherboard to be offset.
  • 2/10: mounted on standoffs, making it more recessed in the chassis. This results in the two card edge connectors of the 2/10 motherboard to be aligned.
Chassis 60 conductor ribbon cable
  • 2/5: Terminates in two 26 pin socket connectors (originally for two Twiggy drives, the 2/5 drive cage uses the Lite Adapter to convert one of the 26 pin sockets to the 20 pin cable used by the 3.5" drive), and one 10 pin socket for the power button/keyboard jack
  • 2/10: Terminates in one 26 pin socket connector (the internal parallel port), one 20 pin socket connector (for a 3.5" floppy) and one 10 pin socket for the power button/keyboard jack
Chassis wiring harness
  • 2/5: has a 3 pin socket, not used by anything that we know of
  • 2/10: has an 8 pin socket that provides power to a Widget
Chassis sheet metal
  • 2/5: does not have the 2/10 cutout
  • 2/10: has a cutout aligned with a slot 3 expansion card. The cutout appears to be suitable for a 60 pin card edge connector; typically unused except for eg. routing a SCSI cable for an internal drive.
Some of the things that are the same:
  • Video Board
  • CRT, flyback transformer
  • power switch & keyboard jack assembly
  • speaker and front panel safety interlock
  • card edge connectors for the power supply and the motherboard
  • plastic panels, aside from the dual Twiggy front panel

So, to convert a 2/5 chassis for use with a 2/10 motherboard:
  • remount the 60 pin card edge connector on standoffs.
  • If you wish to use a floppy drive, you will need to change / alter / adapt the chassis ribbon cable. It is possible to split off 20 conductors and crimp on the 2/10 specific floppy connector.
  • If you wish to install a Widget, you will need to install an 8 pin Widget power connector.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:34:41 pm by sigma7 »
Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up