LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BLU and HyperTerminal  (Read 21 times)

blusnowkitty

BLU and HyperTerminal
« on: Yesterday at 07:44:58 pm »

Has anyone ever had any luck dumping diskettes and transferring them with HyperTerminal? I replaced my SCC today and while all the replacements I got all now work fine for simply bashing on the keyboard to make text pop out of either end, I cannot either end to see an Xmodem transfer.

For the curious: I suspect my original SCC is one of those infamous faulty chips sold as NOS - there's no evidence of sanding, but the legs were all suspiciously tinned. Oh well, I have a bunch of very pretty ceramic and gold SCCs now, so I'm happy.
You haven't lived until you've heard the sound of a Sony 400k drive.

sigma7

• Administrator
  • Warning: Memory errors found. Verify comments.
Re: BLU and HyperTerminal
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:59:59 pm »

any luck ... with HyperTerminal?

The BLU manual says:

NOTE: HyperTerminal won't work for bootstrapping as it mangles CR/LF combinations!

Which seems sufficiently specific that it might do an xmodem transfer ok, but it could also mean it was a non-starter and so wasn't considered worth testing -- sorry I don't recall.

Given no progress in either direction, I'd guess it is a handshaking issue.

In any case, trying an alternative may be informative.

Good luck!

edit:

This post from Ray implies that HyperTerminal could work, but doesn't confirm he tested it.

edit 2:

In a 2007-02-01 email exchange with Ray there is this comment:

HyperTerminal rejects the data UNLESS you wait until a couple of timeout failures pass; whence it switches from CRC to checksum; if you start sending then it works ok.

It may be that was before BLU understood CRC, but it seems worth trying.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:08:13 pm by sigma7 »
Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up