LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RetroHour Robert Cringely Interview - early Apple days and small Lisa mention  (Read 3551 times)

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm

This podcast is an interview with Robert Cringely who mentions various anecdotes about the early days of Apple, Microsoft, Gates and Jobs.

The Lisa is mentioned only in passing in that he worked for the Lisa team under Tesler and was fired with 40% of the Lisa team in ~1981.

Very enjoyable.

Show notes: https://theretrohour.com/triumph-of-the-nerds-robert-cringley-interview-ep283/
Audio: https://audioboom.com/posts/7901263-triumph-of-the-nerds-with-robert-cringley-the-retro-hour-ep283.mp3
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com

Ray,
Thanks for posting this!  I always enjoyed the Triumph of the Nerds documentary made in 1995.  I never knew that Robert Cringley was on the Lisa team for a while (  or a Homebrew member, or an Adobe employee on the Postscript and Illustrator teams ) Wow!   

In that documentary I enjoyed the Xerox Parc info ( finding an Alto in the basement ).   Also there is a scene that is very personal to me, Robert visits IBM in Boca Raton, FL to find an abandoned building in being demolished.   I was an IBM'er in the mid 80's on the IBM PC and PS/2 teams and I worked in that very building.  It's hard for me to imagine that in less than 10 years it was being torn down.

Rick
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 11:22:17 am by Lisa2 »

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm

"Robert X. Cringely" is not a real name; His real name is Mark Stephens, and he's like the 3rd person who used it. IDC used it as a fake name for their reviews, so they could replace that specific reporter, but somehow he legally got ownership of it. (This speaks volumes to the evils of corporate views of humans as "replaceable cog" resources, but that's another topic for another place.)

Full disclosure in my den/mancave on the shelves to the right of my TV, I have boxed VHS sets of both Nerds and Nerds 2.01 and they're some of my favorites. :)I think I have Accidental Empires somewhere on a different shelf as well.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com

Full disclosure in my den/mancave on the shelves to the right of my TV, I have boxed VHS sets of both Nerds and Nerds 2.01 and they're some of my favorites.

I too have the boxed VHS set, it was given to me by an IBM employee that worked in that same building at the time.

I knew that "Robert X Cringely" is alias, I did not remember his real name..  ;)

Thanks again,
Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up