LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: monstrosity  (Read 7161 times)

compu_85

Re: monstrosity
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 12:26:46 pm »

She does run faster than an PCXT..

Hmm. Why would your 18mhz machine be so much faster than my 16mhz one? Is there a big improvement with Macworks Plus 2.5.3?

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 02:11:07 pm »

True, but at the time Microsoft was no slave to x86.  They had 8080 (Z80), 6502, 8086 (8088), and 6809 versions of Basic.  I am sure if the marketed had demanded it a 68000 version MS-DOS was possible, especially considering CP/M 68K was already a thing.

Yeah, that's the thing, if you look at Multiplan and some of the other office apps MSFT had ported to other systems, they went with a VM before the JVM was even a thing. Not sure if the Pascal P-Code thing was first, though it was around 1977, so it might predate multiplan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplan vs http://pascal.hansotten.com/ucsd-p-system/ and yes, was thinking about a DOS for 68000 natively in the same vein as CP/M68k.

Point is that unlike the Macintosh, the Lisa was designed to support multiple operating systems.  ( Yet running MacOS on Lisa seems to get no love.. )

Eh, I mean, I did build out one of my Lisae to be optimized for MacWorks, but yeah, I tend to just launch mini vMac instead or Basilisk II. (And yes, I do have many actual Macs from the 128 all the way to quadras and PPCs.) - but it's rare for me to power on a Mac or for that matter an actual Lisa, though I do love tinkering and repairing these machines.

For many years my Lisa was my Mac, running MacWorks until I built a hackintosh from the IIcx motherboard with a PC power supply and other parts (as in Bob Brandt (sp?) "Build Your Own Macintosh and Save a Bundle" book - and then after that I bought an actual 7100 as my main machine. I did have PCs but mostly they were just background machines, used for when I needed to use them rather than preferred. Mostly I used whatever Mac was the newest most cable 99% of the time, or Sun Microsystems hardware (and yes, I did run MAE on my SPARC 5 and later ones too.)
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 04:16:02 pm »

Hmm. Why would your 18mhz machine be so much faster than my 16mhz one? Is there a big improvement with Macworks Plus 2.5.3?
I don't think is has anything to do with MW+II 2.5.3 vs. 2.5.0

I never had the original XLerator 16, but my understanding is the later 12.5 and 18 models have faster RAM ( Zero wait-states ).   

I think the real difference here is using the "Entry Level" SoftPC version that is optimized for slower systems.

Rick

compu_85

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 10:46:03 am »

I'll give it a try and see if it makes a difference!

Lisa2

• Administrator
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2021, 02:55:26 pm »

Let me know if you have trouble installing EL SoftPC.  I have a licensed copy with the original disks, manual, and install password.  This software has several anti-priracy mechanisms that will fight you. 

Rick

Lisa2

• Administrator
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2021, 09:52:02 am »

Don't bother compu_85.  I tried Universal SoftPC 2.5 ( demonstration version ) on the Lisa last night and the speed is same as orginal setup with a Norton SI rating of 1.5

FWIW, I also tested Universal SoftPC 2.5 on my dual 1 Ghz MDD G4 and I get a Norton SI rating around 340!

Rick
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 05:56:23 pm by Lisa2 »

compu_85

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 10:46:26 pm »

Thanks for checking for me!

I find dos programs run fine, but Windows 2 is just very slow. which is fine for this demo!

compu_85

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 05:16:43 pm »

So my system did revolt a bit.... the surface mount caps on the floppy drive gave out, so it began reading intermittently. The ST412 to SCSI bridge for the hard drive also forgot that it's supposed to be a hard drive... I had to re-load its settings but thankfully didn't have to low level format.

-J
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up