LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track 0 sensor on hard drive mechanisms  (Read 3229 times)

stepleton

Track 0 sensor on hard drive mechanisms
« on: December 30, 2021, 11:14:24 am »

Twitter is not the easiest platform in the world for reading long content, but at least you don't need to log in if you don't want to. Anyway, the @TubeTimeUS account makes for an interesting follow, as this person frequently gets into the weeds of hardware diagnostics and debugging.

In the series of posts linked below, @TubeTimeUS investigates a Seagate ST-412 mechanism (same as found in 10MB ProFile drives) and goes through twists and turns to discover that the Track 0 sensor is misaligned and needs shimming. The suspicion expressed is that the plastic just deforms with age. I think there's a similar sensor on the 5 MB ProFile's ST-506.

https://twitter.com/TubeTimeUS/status/1473085565834719233

<offtopic>
My own projects have been on a low simmer as I get ready for a house move, but if you'd like to see a non-Lisa related retrocomputing project that I've been busy with, feel free to check out this github project and this video  :)
At some point we may have to worry more about similar issues with Lisa power supplies, although most Lisa ICs are not too hard to replace for now...
</offtopic>
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 03:10:08 pm by stepleton »
Pages: [1]   Go Up