LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows LisaEm won't let me boot from *.dc42 images created in Mac  (Read 4301 times)

kewatsdop

I'm flooding the forum with problems.... tell me when I have overstepped.

I installed LisaEm on my Windows machine, but the Windows LisaEm (1.2.6) does not want to boot from the *.dc42 images which I created earlier on a Mac (1.2.7 RC) mounted in Preferences - as if they were not connected at all.

I tried mounting them in Preferences both in the Ports tab under Parallel Ports, and in Slot1 tab, under Upper Parallel Port.

Any ideas?

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
Re: Windows LisaEm won't let me boot from *.dc42 images created in Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 12:14:38 pm »

I'm flooding the forum with problems.... tell me when I have overstepped.

I installed LisaEm on my Windows machine, but the Windows LisaEm (1.2.6) does not want to boot from the *.dc42 images which I created earlier on a Mac (1.2.7 RC) mounted in Preferences - as if they were not connected at all.

I tried mounting them in Preferences both in the Ports tab under Parallel Ports, and in Slot1 tab, under Upper Parallel Port.

Any ideas?

You're not overstepping, we're here to help, no worries.

The lisaem-profile.dc42 should be placed on the motherboard parallel port, not the expansion slot ports. If you do that, it won't be able to boot from there.

With the virtual Lisa turned off, open Preferences. Then click on the Ports tab, and then click the browse button next to the Parallel Port to open a File Open dialog box and navigate to it, changing the extension to * if needed.

You'll see something like C:\Users\username\Desktop\lisaem-profile.dc42 or whatever.

Then click Apply at the bottom of Preferences.

Then turn the virtual Lisa back on and you should see it show up in the Boot ROM's menu under the floppy.

You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

kewatsdop

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 02:37:06 pm »

Yes, this is exactly what I'm doing now, to no avail. I even re-copied the image to Windows to eliminate any corruption that might have occurred on the way, but no... anyway, thank you.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 03:04:29 pm »

Yes, this is exactly what I'm doing now, to no avail. I even re-copied the image to Windows to eliminate any corruption that might have occurred on the way, but no... anyway, thank you.

There's one possibility I'm aware of. There's a bug with Windows but not macos where if the username contains non-ascii, unicode characters, such as accents and such, it will fail to find the path. This has to do with translating wxStrings to C strings.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code
Pages: [1]   Go Up