LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LOS QuickPort Terminal / LPW text console escape sequences?  (Read 3149 times)

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
LOS QuickPort Terminal / LPW text console escape sequences?
« on: March 04, 2022, 12:07:30 pm »

Is there documentation for the quickport terminal escape sequences? I'm assuming it's the same terminal emulation in LPW.

I'm working on getting a TerminalWx window working for LPW and it almost works, but it's not vt100/102 like. (The one for UniPlus works now too and I've added a preferences checkbox to open a TerminalWx window where appropriate, i.e. LPW not LOS, UniPlus, and eventually Xenix once it boots.) This will allow for copy and paste in/out of LPW, etc. Obviously the graphical editor won't work properly with this, but it can be used to automate running a script, and eventually from the command line.

Looking at the output on the Lisa side versus the escape codes sent, I've discovered these and I think they're correct, but not 100% sure.
The Copyright Notice is two lines vertically down, and two chars down the ASCII table, from the "Workshop" line in [ESC]=xx so that matches.

Anyone recognize what terminal emulator matches these codes incase it's something common? Are these ESC sequences documented somewhere for LOS/LPW/QuickPort so I don't have to guess at others?

As an aside, also like for the Mac, it doesn't send line feeds to move the cursor down. So CR does the equivalent of CRLF.

Code: [Select]
[ESC]* is clear screen
[ESC]T is clear to end of line maybe?  - vt100 equiv of: [ESC][K
[ESC]=?? is locate cursor - if two spaces, it's home position. ASCII char 32. LPW uses two spaces for home.
      1st char is vertical, 2nd char is horizontal offset.      these are two ASCII characters, not numeric as in VT100.

Examples captured from LPW:

[ESC]=-0                   Workshop                   
[CR][ESC]=/0Copyright 1983, 1984, 1985 Apple Computer Inc.
[CR][ESC]=  [ESC]T{V3.9} WORKSHOP: FILE-MGR, SYSTEM-MGR, Edit, Run, Debug, Pascal, Basic, Quit, ?

[CR][ESC]=  [ESC]TFILE-MGR:  Backup, Copy, Delete, List, Online, Prefix, Rename, Transfer, Quit, ?

[ESC]*
[CR]
[CR]
One Moment Please
[CR]
[CR]
[ESC]*
[CR]
[CR]
Contents of -#11-=
[CR]
Filename                     Size Psize   Last-Mod-Date   Creation-Date  Attr
[CR]
--------                     ---- -----   -------------   -------------  ----
[CR]
paper.text                   2048     4  03/22/87-04:06  01/02/83-08:20 
[CR]
Type SPACE to continue, CLEAR to exit.

You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

stepleton

Re: LOS QuickPort Terminal / LPW text console escape sequences?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 01:19:32 pm »

Could it be Soroc escape sequences? That's the other terminal type I associate with Lisa console I/O.

See also around PDF page 364 of http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/apple/lisa/workshop_3.0/Lisa_Pascal_3.0_System_Software_1984.pdf

stepleton

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 01:20:43 pm »

Looks like a yes, based on the next page:

"Pascal programs that run in the Lisa Workshop, and on the Apple II or Apple III, use Soroc escape sequences for output display. QuickPort provides a Soroc-compatible terminal emulator to help port these applications to the Lisa desktop."

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 01:54:24 pm »

Excellent find! Thank you!

I ran across these docs for soroc:

* https://vt100.net/soroc/c530-og.pdf
 * https://vt100.net/soroc/iq135-og-pre.pdf
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 02:59:53 pm by rayarachelian »
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 10:56:29 am »

BTW, MonitorOS also uses SOROC esc codes, so likely that's where it came from (code history wise). Got the TerminalWx window working for Monitor 0.12.3 (the one labeled copysony up on bitsavers).
Pages: [1]   Go Up