LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Few Lisa Things I've Been Working On  (Read 5045 times)

AlexTheCat123

A Few Lisa Things I've Been Working On
« on: July 11, 2022, 05:59:01 pm »

Over the past several months, I've been designing and reverse-engineering a few boards for the Lisa and I can finally share my results now that I'm done.

First up, I made replicas of the 2-port parallel card and the 2/5 motherboard that are as similar to the originals as possible. I actually put these on GitHub a month or so ago, but I realized that I forgot to make a post on here when I did!

After the intellectual property discussion on here about reverse-engineering the Sun SCSI card, I decided to just make my own version that consolidates the glue logic into a GAL16V8 and that swaps the EPROM out for an F-RAM that can be reprogrammed without having to remove it from the Lisa. Hopefully that last feature makes it easy to write code for expansion cards! I originally wanted to use a 28C64 EEPROM instead of the F-RAM since they're a bit cheaper, but the write time of 5ms was just too slow.

For practice with 68K assembly, I also ended up writing a little program that lets you write a 4K ROM image from your modern computer straight into the expansion card F-RAM over serial. It's really simple, but also really useful!

I also adapted this program to let you load code straight into the Lisa's RAM over serial to speed up software development. It's sort of like the BLU serial bootstrap program, except that you don't have to hard-code the size of your program and it automatically jumps to your code after a one second timeout of not receiving any data from the serial port.

I'm not sure how useful some of these tools would be to people (the PCBs are probably way more useful than my assembly language programs), but I figured I'd share everything anyway.

Let me know how all this stuff looks and if you guys have any suggestions for potential future revisions!

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
Re: A Few Lisa Things I've Been Working On
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 07:12:49 pm »

Over the past several months, I've been designing and reverse-engineering a few boards for the Lisa and I can finally share my results now that I'm done.

Well done good sir; if I may "Meow" to you.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

stepleton

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 08:15:45 pm »

Wow, congratulations on these developments!

I am a little embarrassed to say that I had never heard of F-RAM before. The very distant similarity to magnetic core clearly makes this a technology of choice for retrocomputing projects  :D

One of the biggest problems I've had with making Lisa expansion cards is just getting the size of the card right. Kudos for this feat alone; if you find that your cards fit correctly, I'll happily revise to your measurements. In general, this all looks like it must have taken tons of time!

D.Finni

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 08:56:13 pm »

I am a little embarrassed to say that I had never heard of F-RAM before.
Well don't be, because you could be like me: I post fairly regularly here, but I have never seen an Apple Lisa, much less even used one.  :o

AlexTheCat123

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 09:17:42 am »

Well done good sir; if I may "Meow" to you.
Wow, congratulations on these developments!
Thanks! I'm glad you guys like them!
I am a little embarrassed to say that I had never heard of F-RAM before.
Don't be embarrassed; I hadn't heard of F-RAM chips either until Ray suggested them to me! They're really cool and useful!
One of the biggest problems I've had with making Lisa expansion cards is just getting the size of the card right. Kudos for this feat alone; if you find that your cards fit correctly, I'll happily revise to your measurements. In general, this all looks like it must have taken tons of time!
I know what you mean; it took a lot of work to get the card size just right. They seem to fit really well, so feel free to revise your design if you want! And yes, all of this took several months to complete (although I wasn't working on it nonstop).

sigma7

• Administrator
  • Warning: Memory errors found. Verify comments.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 04:55:23 pm »

One of the biggest problems I've had with making Lisa expansion cards is just getting the size of the card right. Kudos for this feat alone; if you find that your cards fit correctly, I'll happily revise to your measurements.
I've made quite a few Lisa expansion cards over the years, and so have tweaked various dimensions (to my liking at least). Am happy to share those as another data point.

I've started a thread in the Files section:  https://lisalist2.com/index.php/topic,301
(Not because it needs to be hidden, but so it can have an easy to find thread.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 06:23:28 pm by sigma7 »
Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.

compu_85

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 01:40:36 pm »

Fantastic work!!

For the BOM lists, I think you have to share them as a shopping cart? When I try to pull them up I don't have access.

-J
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 01:51:23 pm by compu_85 »

AlexTheCat123

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 02:54:53 pm »

For the BOM lists, I think you have to share them as a shopping cart? When I try to pull them up I don't have access.

Thanks for pointing this out! I just checked and you're totally right; I'm the only one who can access them. When I made the lists, I changed the visibility from private to read only, but I guess that didn't work for some reason. I'll work on fixing them right now!

AlexTheCat123

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 03:05:28 pm »

I just updated the links to the BOMs, so things should work fine now. Sorry about that!

AlexTheCat123

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 10:48:20 am »

Update about the 2/5 motherboard and the parallel card: Thanks to the awesome font created by @warmech, I've updated these boards to use the correct font and now they look significantly better and more original. I/O board coming soon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up