LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Ink Jet Printer (Canon PJ-1080A) unclog  (Read 3305 times)

stepleton

Canon Ink Jet Printer (Canon PJ-1080A) unclog
« on: August 29, 2021, 06:51:55 am »

Notch another win for the 'propes...

I decided to try and use my Canon PJ-1080A again after a while (known as the Canon Ink Jet Printer to the Office System), and while I was able to print C, Y, and K, I wasn't getting any magenta out of it. Repeated efforts with the pumping mechanism as described in the manual (including the "wait for six hours and try again" advice) weren't working.

The PJ-1080A brings the troubleshooter the triple pleasure of considering electrical, mechanical, or hydraulic faults. After poking around with an oscilloscope I was pretty confident my problem wasn't electrical (side note: it looks like each time one of the print heads squirts out an ink droplet, it's getting goosed by a -50V pulse from the control board). I couldn't easily investigate whether the thermal squirter mechanism was still functional (it's very difficult to access), so instead I decided to "search for the keys under the lamppost" and try and fix a clog.

This photo may help with the following: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Bz46mg7qaAcYh139
so might this page of the manual: https://archive.org/details/CanonPJ1080a/page/n9/mode/2up

My strategy was to try and dissolve any dried ink around the print heads with isopropanol, or as I like to call it sometimes, "the 'propes". I couldn't easily remove the head carriage, so I gently pressed saturated, folded strips of laboratory tissue against the heads, which look fairly fragile. It was necessary to unscrew the cap-and-pump assembly (in the photo, see the green lever and the white, plastic cap with the "761785" label) so I could lift it out of the way for better access to the heads. Once I'd blotted away about as much ink as it seemed possible to remove, I tried again and happily we were in business.

"Nobody collects printers..."

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
Re: Canon Ink Jet Printer (Canon PJ-1080A) unclog
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 10:33:14 am »

Excellent, this is something that should be added to the LisaFAQ for sure.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

compu_85

Re: Canon Ink Jet Printer (Canon PJ-1080A) unclog
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 10:12:54 am »

Nice fix!

As I understand it the print nozzles are glass, so they would be very easy to damage.

One other note: The waste ink absorber pad in the black cartridge can also completely dry out. When this happens ink doesn't absorb into it, it just pools in the bottom of the cartridge. This is fine, until you tip the printer.....

To fix this you can take the cartridge apart, and run the pad under water and wring it out a few times. That will rinse all the old ink out, and leave it ready to absorb new waste ink.

-J
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 10:15:08 am by compu_85 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up