LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lisa documentary on Kickstarter  (Read 5406 times)

patrick

• Patrick's Hardware Page
Lisa documentary on Kickstarter
« on: May 10, 2019, 02:23:23 pm »

On Kickstarter someone is collecting money for a Lisa documentary film: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dgreelish/before-macintosh-the-apple-lisa. Deadline is Mon, 27. Mai 2019 04:00 CEST.

I don't have anything to do with it, I've also just been made aware of it. David Greelish wants to interview some collectors, too, so maybe it is your chance to appear on television ;-)

Patrick

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
Re: Lisa documentary on Kickstarter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 05:54:41 pm »

Oh wow, right now it's "$4,346 pledged of $3,600 goal" and it still has 15 days to go! @patrick I think you singlehandedly caused this to happen!  ;D
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

mactjaap

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 12:40:27 pm »

I backed the project. Really fantastic! You will see a picture of me and my Lisa at the end  :) :)

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 08:09:45 am »

Looks like this project achieved it's goal 2x over! Well done and congrats to Dave!

"190 backers pledged $7,446 to help bring this project to life. "

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 12:26:59 pm »

David posted an updated trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlll7x2td9Q

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 08:58:53 pm »

Recent update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dgreelish/before-macintosh-the-apple-lisa/posts

Hi everyone, and just thank you all again for your continued support, confidence and especially patience. I am working really hard to have the film in a digitally completed state within the next 18 days... yes, really. It's an aggressive goal, but it's my goal. Then (and you all will always be the first to have access) it will be screened at the upcoming Southern-Fried Gaming Expo in Atlanta. The Vintage Computer Festival Southeast has partnered with that show and is being held in conjunction with it. https://gameatl.com

Worse-case scenario, the film will be far more developed and I will release an extended preview to you, and at the show. I'm certainly trying to create the best film that I can, so I will not compromise that for the sake of speed.

Now that I am again "in-deep" into the material, I can't express enough just how much my inspiration with the project has been renewed by the interviews and stories. This is the creative endeavor of my lifetime and it's a personal one as well. My journey towards creative, historical and professional ambition started with this computer (which led to the Mac). Buying my Lisa a little over 30 years ago ignited my life, and it, with this film, is doing it all over again.

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 09:35:40 pm »

So on the Kickstarter page there is a post today:  "Finally, it's uploaded...."

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 08:42:59 am »

Yup, watching it now, it's only part 1 and will be taken down tomorrow night.
It's missing background music during when people talk to build up interest and flow, and also levels and background noise are all over the place.
Intro music wise something like the theme song from Halt and Catch Fire would be compelling and 80s and Kraftwerk/Synth like enough.

Beyond that, it needs better flow from scene to scene to tell a story, it feels like it's jumping around from one anecdote to another right now. Segue/story work basically. Also seems to need some humor/anecdotes to keep it moving.

i.e. would want it to start with an intro about what the Lisa was and the ideas behind the project, maybe demoing a real Lisa in the process and how it relates to the Mac and Windows 1.0 and MSFT Office, then into the design of the Lisa and what decisions were made and why.
I understand and know what the interviewees are talking about, but my kid wouldn't have a clue. That's the barrier that has to be overcome for this to be successful.
My interview was about 2-2.5hrs so hopefully the final product will include as extras all the footage (minus goofs/etc.) I'd certainly be interested in all the things Rich Page, Dan Smith, Larry Tesler, Bill Atkinson, John Couch, and John Woodall had to say, etc. assuming theirs would be that long too.
(This isn't meant to be a review or anything like that, it's way too early for that, just my first impressions, and don't take my views of it as anything of importance either. I don't know shit about the film making process, this is just my uneducated, $0.02.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 02:07:12 pm by rayarachelian »

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 02:30:13 pm »

Thanks Ray for the update. 

It's nice to know he is making some progress at least.  It will be nice to have these interviews documented for history.

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up