LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LisaDAC in 2/5, Any Experience?  (Read 3525 times)

nekonoko

LisaDAC in 2/5, Any Experience?
« on: November 03, 2023, 11:35:21 am »

I have a Lisa 2/5 with a VintageMicros DAC card installed. In my system the card does operate, but seems overly loud and distorted with persistent hum/background noise once initialized.

I was wondering if this is just how these cards are or if there is a slight incompatibility  - perhaps the VIA clock difference between 2/5 and 2/10 I/O boards or an improper resistor value (or other defect). Not having encountered another of these I have a sample size of one to compare it with.

sigma7

• Administrator
  • Warning: Memory errors found. Verify comments.
Re: LisaDAC in 2/5, Any Experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 02:32:24 pm »

DAC card ... seems overly loud and distorted

IIRC, the distortion is common for a lot of the sound output, here is an example: YouTube: New DAC Sound Card for Apple Lisa

The pixel tracks on the screen is an indication of incompatibility... those bits are supposed to go into sound hardware locations.

However, I believe there were a few applications that had good sound with it; I think Dafax published a list of those.

Earlier in the video there are some MacinTalk examples that have pretty good quality.

As for too loud, that may be a hardware problem which may be adding further distortion.
You could compare your board with the one shown here: LisaDAC Sound Card
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 02:42:03 pm by sigma7 »
Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.

nekonoko

Re: LisaDAC in 2/5, Any Experience?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 01:38:35 am »

That's exactly what I was looking for; mine sounds pretty much the same. I'll go over the board just to make certain but based on that video it seems to be expected behavior. Thanks for the info!
Pages: [1]   Go Up