LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: International Lisa Office System Versions  (Read 5905 times)

blusnowkitty

Re: International Lisa Office System Versions
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2022, 12:47:34 pm »

Was anyone aware that the Lisa ROM itself had international translations, too? I found this Lisa on eBay Kleinanzeigen (German Craigslist/FB Marketplace?) and guess what? The ROM is in German! (Also notice that curious little toggle switch, I bet that's a video mod switch.)

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/apple-lisa-2/1792715326-228-6542
You haven't lived until you've heard the sound of a Sony 400k drive.

stepleton

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 01:09:38 pm »

So far as I know, there was only one ROM, but the ROM has French and German strings in addition to English. You can find them in the source code: search for the string "GETESTET" for example.

If you scroll to $364E in the code, you can see that the ROM determines the language of your keyboard and chooses which messages to show on that basis. If you have a US or UK keyboard, you get English. If you have a German or a French keyboard you get German and French messages respectively. If you have any other kind of keyboard, the ROM will show you all three languages at once in hopes that you can understand at least one of them!

patrick

• Patrick's Hardware Page
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 01:10:41 pm »

ROM language depends on the keyboard connected. With a German keyboard,  the ROM messages are in German, with a French keyboard in French etc. If you open your keyboard,  you'll find a DIP switch, or at least the place to fit one. Here you can set the keyboard layout / language.

fri0701

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2022, 10:32:29 pm »

Thanks to some fellow Lisa collectors, we were able to piece together complete sets of LOS 2.0F (French) and 3.1F (French). I've uploaded these in the Files section under two separate posts.

fri0701

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 05:01:56 pm »

With much help from Tim Colegrove and his Lisa 1, we were able to archive the OS disks for LOS 1.1B (British English)! I've made a more detailed post in the Files section, if you're curious.

mikerofone

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2023, 03:54:31 pm »

Hi all,

thanks for your conservation efforts and sorry for the thread necromancy. I've installed the German LOS v2 from the Files section on my Lisa and found the differences between LOS 2 and 3 quite substantial. For example, there's no Apple+E to eject floppies on desktop, and you have to explicitly select the floppy to be able to eject - how were people living on LOS 2? :P

Does anyone have any leads or suggestions where to go hunting for a German LOS 3 suite?

Cheers
mikerofone

fri0701

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2023, 04:19:31 pm »

Does anyone have any leads or suggestions where to go hunting for a German LOS 3 suite?

Copies sometimes show up on German eBay, often as part of a larger set or complete system. The only one I know of now is this sale, which shows a handwritten "3.1D" label on a LisaProject disk: https://www.ebay.de/itm/266105790910

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up