General Category > LisaList2

Lisa OS and applications source code now available

(1/11) > >>

stepleton:
On this heavy occasion it is worth pointing out that the source code to the Lisa OS and the Office System application suite is now available at the Computer History Museum website.

https://computerhistory.org/blog/the-lisa-apples-most-influential-failure/

I think I recall hearing that LisaEm was helpful for its preparation, and it would be nice to hear about that if it was. Even if not, it will be a useful tool for exploring the OS in the future.

blusnowkitty:
Thanks Al! This is going to be interesting to dig into.

Looks like the Twiggy driver was still in the source, so maybe we can run Office System 7/7 on a Lisa 1?

There's another piece of source - SOURCE-STARTUP I think - making reference to Office System 3.1 being internally versioned as 13.3.1.

SOURCE-NWSHELL looks like an interesting artifact from the early days. Anyone know anything about "UltraDOS Shell?"

The desktop shell is under /APDM and apparently was known internally as LisaDesk.

Environments window is under /APEW. Also references the Pepsi system at least once.

The OS installer is under /APIN. APIN-OFFICE.TEXT has some fun comments! Pepsi is referenced multiple times, and the comments also imply it was/is possible to restore the system from a Priam tape drive? This directory's also got a bunch of fun internal tools used to actually generate the installer disks.

/APLC and /APLD are LisaCalc and LisaDraw, respectively, and wow, these are some giant programs.

D.Finni:
Just downloaded it too. Now we can figure out how the file systems worked. :-)

Thanks, Al!

Note for Mr. Hsu's article: the spelling for "stationery pad" is with an e in stationery.

D.Finni:
The definition of the MDDF disk header is found in LISA_OS/LIBS/LIBOS/libos-bless.text.unix.txt

Each field name is present, with comment on its purpose.

Also check out LISA_OS/OS/source-scavenger.text.unix.txt

stepleton:
I'd be interested to know how intrinsic libraries are created. I know there's some documentation about this if you look for it, but I don't think there's the full picture. We should now have a full example.

I wonder if there's any special reason why Apple didn't want people to know --- most likely is they just didn't get around to telling, but maybe they also wanted to avoid DLL hell.

Last one to implement a TCP/IP stack is a rotten egg!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version