General Category > LisaList2

Lisa OS and applications source code now available

<< < (2/11) > >>

D.Finni:
As I click thru these mostly Pascal source files I'm blown away by how the big picture of Lisa is that it was a prototype of Macintosh. Macintosh in a large way was a refactoring of Lisa sources in Pascal to 68000 assembly. So many of the concepts are direct translations or borrows from Lisa-- far more than is common knowledge.

blusnowkitty:
LIBHW-LEGENDS is very interesting too. Header says it's assembly glue to the keyboard. We know that there was a US, French, German, and I think one other keyboard language that was released but it seems there were at least prototypes of keyboards in UK, Italian, Swedish, Swiss German, Spanish, Dutch, French Canadian, and Danish. LIBHW-KEYBOARD also says there was a DVORAK layout?

We've known for a while that the Lisa's mouse port was wired for up to three buttons, but only one was used in the end. Someone on here wondered what would happened if you wired in the other two buttons, and according to LIBHW-SPRKEYBD, nothing will happen. LIBHW-CURSOR (or was it LIBHW-MOUSE) says you can load your own mouse driver, though.

LIBHW-SPRKEYBD also implies we could have had three Sony drives?! SOURCE-SONY implies we could have had an internal and an external drive like the Mac at the very least. Currently the ext_drive_cb struct hardcodes the Sony driver to only a single internal disk drive.

SOURCE-HDISK's header says you can have a Profile up to 32MB! And it tells you where to go (SOURCE-PROFASM) if you want to have a disk larger than that! SOURCE-FS* appears to be everything related to the Lisa's filesystems. SOURCE-FSPRIM suggests that the copy protection ("theft protection") is handled at the filesystem level?

master_machine_id, serial_no, "protected master" and the word "theft" might be good strings to grep if one wants to neuter the copy protection in software.

LIBPM-PMDOC has some interesting devices in the CONST table - apparent support for a modem, something called a Marksman that may have changed to Priam, the AppleNet card, Corvus which is also marked as may change to Priam, and a laser printer.

/LIBSB and /LIBWM may be the window manager...?

compu_85:
Remember there's photos of a "3 Port Card" floating around.

A friend also has a card which IIRC has a Twiggy, and Sony interface on it. I'll ask him to get a photo.

-J

blusnowkitty:
A while ago I made somewhat of a joke thread about the Lisa "Pepsi" system, and we weren't quite sure what Pepsi actually was. I think the source drop pretty much confirms that Pepsi was the codename for the 2/10. There was also this find:

./LISA_OS/OS/SOURCE-CD.TEXT.unix.txt:   iob_twiggy = -1; {Pepsi, BUT with twiggies}

Now this I'd like to see!

The Whopper, on the other hand, there are only two explicit references to the Whopper. Whopper probably never got too far away from the original Lisa design before the entire system was cancelled. I can find no references to the GLM at all with a simple grep.

D.Finni:
To figure out what Pepsi referred to as well, and it looks like part of it is a new I/O board.

In this article I wrote that Pepsi was the code name for a Lisa 2 with Sony drive. Source code notes from today's release show that Lisa Team were working with Sony drive since at least September 1983.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version