LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lisa Mouse Question (The Missing Link?)  (Read 3170 times)

ried

Lisa Mouse Question (The Missing Link?)
« on: February 27, 2023, 07:15:24 pm »

I purchased this Lisa 1 (thin button) mouse on eBay. It's a bit of a strange one, though, so figured to ask the experts here about it.

As we all know, the Lisa 1's thin button mouse (A9M0050) has a unique "squeeze on/off" connector, and a 4-section flexible part where the cable meets the mouse body. The Lisa 2's mouse (M0100) connector uses physical screws and has a 6-section flexible part where the cable meets the mouse body.

The mouse that I purchased from the UK seems to be a strange hybrid. It has a standard body from the A9M0050, while the cable has a flexible part like the A9M0050 and a connector like the M0100. There is no sign of the cable having been modified.

Is this perhaps something that came off of the production line as they were transitioning Lisa from the A9M0050 to the M0100? Did they make mice that had features of both?

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/kUtDq5f

ried

Re: Lisa Mouse Question (The Missing Link?)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 08:17:48 pm »

Now cleaned up, with better photos.

https://imgur.com/a/08GLkdo

I know this is really minor, and production changes like this happen over time - usually unnoticed. And maybe people already know about these. But I do find this kind of thing neat. It adds to the Lisa story  :)

compu_85

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 12:16:18 am »

I think the Lisa mouse was sold with both connectors - look in the manual, it clearly shows a thin button mouse with the normal screw type connector.

-J

ried

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 02:26:09 am »

Oh man, that figures! :P Can you tell I'm new here? Carry on :D

stepleton

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 01:46:43 pm »

I've never seen one like this before, but I haven't been exposed to too many Lisa mice. I suppose there's also the chance that someone accidentally chopped off this mouse's original tail, and the local Mac repair shop substituted a cable from a Mac mouse.

The problem is that a mouse with this connector won't work with a standard Lisa 1 or a Lisa 2/5 unless you clip/file the tabs off of the Lisa's mouse port.

ried

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 04:44:49 pm »

Thank you. If it was indeed modified, hats off to whoever performed the modification because I can't find any signs of it.

stepleton

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 07:57:53 pm »

I was looking for signs too and couldn't see any. I was thinking: maybe it's not hard to swap the cables since it seems like they have a header connector at the end. I forgot about the microswitch for the mouse button, but then I disassembled my M0100 and my M0050 and found that they appear to use the same microswitch.

So I think all you would have to do to replace an old cable assembly with a new one is unplug the header connector and swap the assemblies. The important detail is that the assembly includes the microswitch.

I haven't gone so far as to try it, though.

compu_85

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 09:06:54 pm »

I've swapped the cable from a Mac 128k mouse to a Lisa mouse. The strain relief and connector are same.

ried

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 10:47:53 pm »

So I think all you would have to do to replace an old cable assembly with a new one is unplug the header connector and swap the assemblies. The important detail is that the assembly includes the microswitch.

Makes sense!

I've swapped the cable from a Mac 128k mouse to a Lisa mouse. The strain relief and connector are same.

I think we have a winner. Here's the 128K mouse from iFixit, with the same strain relief.

So the Lisa mouse in question has a Macintosh 128K cable. Easy enough.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 10:51:05 pm by ried »

paule

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 03:16:39 am »

My Lisa mouse also has the four part strain relief and a squeeze connector.

ried

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 09:24:33 am »

My Lisa mouse also has the four part strain relief and a squeeze connector.

I believe that's how the vast majority (all?) of them came from the factory. The one I just bought seems to have a 128K cable/microswitch with its 4-part strain relief and screw on connector.
Pages: [1]   Go Up