General Category > LisaList2

X/Profile format times?

(1/2) > >>

andrew:
How substantially does the time to format a compact flash card in an X/Profile in a Lisa 2/10 differ from OS to OS? I'm currently formatting a 256MB STAR partition on a Sandisk CF card using MacWorks 1.1h (System 6.0.2). The estimate in the Operation Manual (given for a 2/10 with MW+II) is 38 minutes and I think I've been waiting around two hours now. The Operation manual says

--- Quote ---Formatting/initialization times may be substantially longer under other operating systems and with different IDE devices.
--- End quote ---
which is fair enough. However, I'm a little concerned because my setup seems similar enough to the example; I can't imagine MW+II is so radically different from 1.1h that there would be such a discrepancy in writing speed. Also, I'm using a type 8 STAR, so the performance should be better. The mouse cursor is responsive, and the display dims after a few minutes of inactivity and brightens when I move the mouse, so at the very least there's no obvious sign of trouble.  :-\

EDIT: It just finished, lol

sigma7:

--- Quote from: andrew on March 09, 2023, 12:32:56 am ---How substantially does the time to format a compact flash card in an X/Profile in a Lisa 2/10 differ from OS to OS? I'm currently formatting a 256MB STAR partition on a Sandisk CF card using MacWorks 1.1h (System 6.0.2). The estimate in the Operation Manual (given for a 2/10 with MW+II) is 38 minutes and I think I've been waiting around two hours now. The Operation manual says

--- Quote ---Formatting/initialization times may be substantially longer under other operating systems and with different IDE devices.
--- End quote ---
which is fair enough. However, I'm a little concerned because my setup seems similar enough to the example; I can't imagine MW+II is so radically different from 1.1h that there would be such a discrepancy in writing speed. Also, I'm using a type 8 STAR, so the performance should be better. The mouse cursor is responsive, and the display dims after a few minutes of inactivity and brightens when I move the mouse, so at the very least there's no obvious sign of trouble.  :-\

--- End quote ---

Unless you can see that the X/ProFile is no longer processing commands (which would be indicated by the display chase sequence proceeding uninterrupted, with no flashing of the activity indicators), I suggest you give it another couple of hours.

MW+II is actually substantially different from MW+ in some ways. For this particular issue, I believe the data transfer portion of the profile driver was improved, which would have a noticeable effect when writing every sector on a largish disk.

I don't recall what device was used for the example timing in the manual, but I suspect it was a rotating hard drive, which would be slower than a CF card for random reads, but potentially quite a bit faster for writing consecutive sectors as when formatting.

Once you do have the STAR formatted, consider duplicating it using the X/ProFile's Copy function, as that will be faster than formatting again if you ever need to.

If you do decide to interrupt it, initialize a 5MB STAR and time how long it takes to format on that particular device, then you can calculate the time to format a 256MB STAR on the same device (by multiplying by 256/5 = 51 times longer)

andrew:
Also, before I go and copy a large STAR volume, what kind of part or object do people usually use to keep the front-panel power switch held down for longer periods of time while the Lisa front panel is removed? I've been holding it down with a pen cap, but obviously that's not a very practical or comfortable solution.

ried:
Q-tip.

paule:
One of my Lisas has had the front switch removed (by a previous owner, presumably when he installed an X/ProFile). For the others... a piece of cardboard folded about eight times.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version