LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultrasonic cleaning Lisa boards?  (Read 2684 times)

paule

Ultrasonic cleaning Lisa boards?
« on: March 13, 2023, 02:31:17 pm »

This is not strictly a Lisa question but there may be some fine points particular to Lisas and similar age electronics.

Up 'til now I've been cleaning boards with IPA and a toothbrush, but I finally purchased an ultrasonic cleaner. I'm testing Stens 770-100 Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution on a couple of Mac Plus boards first. Following directions would be 15m at 125 F. Then rinse with distilled water followed by blow dryer on warm to blow the water from under the chips then dry overnight before reassembling.

Should I remove any labels/stickers and re-attach after cleaning? It seems like they might clean right off otherwise.

Any other tips for cleaning old Lisa boards particularly?

paule

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning Lisa boards?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 04:12:03 pm »

So I actually cleaned the Mac Plus boards for 4m at 125F after reviewing a YouTube video for a different product. Also, in between a blow drying cycles, I used compressed air to blow water out from under the chips and the IO ports. The boards boards look great today. I'll be reinstalling them tonight.

ried

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 05:34:42 pm »

What ultrasonic cleaner are you using? I've been wondering about these and am interested in learning what some good options are, as well as what to watch out for.

paule

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 09:40:41 pm »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083LNXKJK?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have enough experience to compare to any other or recommend it or not. My objective was to get one that was big enough for a typical size vintage board. The Mac Plus digital board fit nicely. I haven't sized up the Lisa boards yet thought. Honestly I was hoping others on the board might be more experienced!

ried

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 11:16:25 pm »

Very helpful, thank you. Coincidentally, Bruce from Branchus Creations just released this, which is also helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIiLPblIICI

paule

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 12:07:41 am »

That was a fun review, and nice to see that I made a good choice in cleaners. FYI, the 22L version I bought seems to be the largest available on Amazon, and the cleaning solution he recommends is "currently unavailable".

As I noted, I ran my boards for only four minutes and on one side only, but compared to his example they were relatively free of Vegemite.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 12:24:47 am by paule »

paule

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 04:58:29 am »

The Mac Plus boards cleaned up nicely and booted beautifully, so I will continue with this technique.

Now doing Profile boards. One addition, after the distilled water rinse I am rinsing with IPA to clear out the water so drying is faster.
Pages: [1]   Go Up