LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a couple 1MB ram boards (or one 2MB board) and a Macworks II PFG  (Read 2967 times)

andrew

• :)
    • Lisa themed website (under construction)

After trying out Macworks Plus 1.1h with 6.0.2, I've found that 1MB of ram is really pushing it, and I'd love to be able to run 6.0.8. I'm interested in buying a couple 1MB ram boards, or a single 2MB ram board, if anyone has one to spare (ideally, in clean and working condition). If I have to give some incentive, I'd even be willing to trade back one (if I can only get a single extra 1MB) or both (if I can get 2MB) of the 512K boards I have once I confirm the received board is working properly, since I really won't have use for them.

I'd also be interested in purchasing a PFG for MW+II if anyone has one available. To clarify, it's only the screen upgrade, not the PFG, that prevents me from running LOS or other OSs, right?

I realize these parts are all as rare as ever so if no one has anything to spare I perfectly understand.

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com

.. it's only the screen upgrade, not the PFG, that prevents me from running LOS or other OSs, right?
Correct.  The screen mod (3A) roms will limit you to running only MacWorks.  Having a PFG installed will not effect the use of other OS's such as LOS or Xenix.  On the filp side, some folks mistakenly think that the screen mod is a requirement for running later versions of MacWorks such as MW+II.  This is not true, no version of MacWorks requires the screen mod. 

sigma7

• Administrator
  • Warning: Memory errors found. Verify comments.

I'm interested in buying a couple 1MB ram boards, or a single 2MB ram board

Apple did not make memory boards other than the 512K variety, so those are the only ones that are relatively plentiful.

AST made the "RamStak" board (configurable up to 2MB) while the Lisa was still in production, but these were quite expensive, so are rare. If you do find one, it may have a row of empty sockets making it a 1.5MB board for use with a 512K board in the other slot.

The "LRamBo" modification was developed as a DIY memory board upgrade.
[insert link to instructions here... where did they go?]
This involves replacing the RAM chips on an Apple 512K board to make it into a 2MB board. The RAM chips are still available in 2023 (eg. Jameco part# 41398 https://www.jameco.com/z/41256-120-Major-Brands-IC-41256-120-DRAM-256K-Bit-256Kx1-120ns-w-Page-Nibble-Mode-DIP-16_41398.html currently $126 for 72, or $149 for 100 since you will want spares). However, this is not a trivial project as desoldering the 72 RAM chips is a major pain.

Sun Remarketing developed a memory board that uses 30 pin SIMMs (configurable up to 2MB). These were still available from Vintage Micros relatively recently (and may be again periodically, as well as the PFG) and you may be able to find a DIY bare board.
Warning: Memory errors found. ECC non-functional. Verify comments if accuracy is important to you.

andrew

• :)
    • Lisa themed website (under construction)

Sun Remarketing developed a memory board that uses 30 pin SIMMs (configurable up to 2MB). These were still available from Vintage Micros relatively recently (and may be again periodically, as well as the PFG) and you may be able to find a DIY bare board.

I know they were and I regret not doing it sooner; I contacted him and he's fresh out right now. I'd solder myself but I don't have any experience, although it's becoming increasingly clear I'm going to need to learn that skill sooner or later.

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 07:26:44 pm by Lisa2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up