LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LisaKeys USB -> Lisa Keyboard Adapter  (Read 6144 times)

jamesdenton

• Administrator
  • ArcaneByte
    • ArcaneByte
LisaKeys USB -> Lisa Keyboard Adapter
« on: October 04, 2019, 08:56:56 am »

Recently came across the LisaKeys project on GitHub via FB post:

https://github.com/RebeccaRGB/lisakeys

It's an Arduino-based USB <-> Lisa keyboard adapter. It can go both ways: USB keyboard -> Lisa or Lisa keyboard -> Mac/PC. Also appears to have some additional features. I built one yesterday and am happy to report it is working well w/ limited testing so far using an Apple USB and generic USB keyboard.

Has anyone else here built one?

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
Re: LisaKeys USB -> Lisa Keyboard Adapter
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 02:01:42 pm »

Woohoo!
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 10:22:49 am »

I am building one of these adapters now.  Are you powering the audrino/host shield using the 5V from the lisa keyboard jack?
Rick

jamesdenton

• Administrator
  • ArcaneByte
    • ArcaneByte
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 12:34:20 pm »

I am building one of these adapters now.  Are you powering the audrino/host shield using the 5V from the lisa keyboard jack?
Rick

Yes, I am using the 5V from the tip of the keyboard jack. In my 2/10, that seems sufficient. In my 2/5 it works, too, but I get some odd floppy drive errors, where "drive format" dialogs constantly pop up. It could be a voltage issue. I have not revisited this, and using USB may solve that problem.

Lisa2

• Administrator
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 03:31:16 am »

Thanks James!
When I get mine going I will do some testing to see how much current the setup is using.  I it nice to know that you have already done the smoke test....
Rick

MickeyScott1

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 06:32:07 pm »

I can't get the LisaKeys Project to work!

I put my Lisa 2 (Macintosh XL) in storage 25 years ago, but lost the keyboard. I've been trying to use the LisaKeys Project with little luck. I have tried 3 UNO boards and 2 USB host shields and I cannot get it to work. I have a Sun Remarketing "Macintosh XL" (according to Sun Remarketing when I bought it) computer with MacWorks Plus. What kind of Lisa are you using and what operating system? I wonder if the operating system (for example, Lisa, MacWorks, versus MacWorks Plus) makes a difference.

AlexTheCat123

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 06:03:04 am »

I can't get the LisaKeys Project to work!

I put my Lisa 2 (Macintosh XL) in storage 25 years ago, but lost the keyboard. I've been trying to use the LisaKeys Project with little luck. I have tried 3 UNO boards and 2 USB host shields and I cannot get it to work. I have a Sun Remarketing "Macintosh XL" (according to Sun Remarketing when I bought it) computer with MacWorks Plus. What kind of Lisa are you using and what operating system? I wonder if the operating system (for example, Lisa, MacWorks, versus MacWorks Plus) makes a difference.

I made one of these about 6 months ago and it has been working great! It shouldn't metter which operating system you're using and I have tried it under both MacWorks and LOS and it has worked fine under both.

Lisa2

• Administrator
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 11:23:31 am »

I have a couple of these: one I built and programmed myself, and one that was offered on ebay.  Both work fine will all four of my systems  ( both Lisa 2/5 and Lisa 2/10 versions ).  The SW running on the Lisa should not matter.

MickeyScott1

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 08:51:18 pm »

I figured what was going wrong with my keyboard adapter!! Neither of the two USB host shields I purchased for my Arduino Uno had the "jumpers" soldered to supply power to the USB port. Once I soldered them, I confirmed that 5 volts was powering the USB port, and the adapter worked! Thanks for the validation that the plans on GitHub for the keyboard adapter did work. It keep me motivated to search for what was going wrong!
Pages: [1]   Go Up