General Category > LisaList2

Exporting LisaWrite and other files to a modern Mac

<< < (2/2)

ried:
Thank you. Everyone here will be pleased to know that I've successfully backed up the drive, using BLU to make an exact copy onto another (working) ProFile. I've also backed up the files to an ArcaneByte Profile emulator - thanks to the work from James, Tom, et al.

Looking into the Migration Kit next. More to come.

Update: Professor Clifford W. Gay from George Mason University is indeed alive and well. The screenshots above are from his Computer Science 699 course offered in Fall of 1988. We are in touch and I'll be finding a way to get at least some of this material back to him.

stepleton:
Thanks ried, that is most of a relief. I'm obliged to ask (sorry!): is there a chance that you have an exact copy on something that is not a ProFile? The files on an emulated disk is a good start, but if you create and use a new ProFile image on the emulator, then you should be able to make an exact copy to that simulated hard drive just like you did with the ProFile.

I've tried to find some of Professor Gay's papers online, and there are two that come up from the 2000s having to do with indexing systems for text. It's possible that some of his earlier work is not known to search engines and paper databases --- computer science can have a short memory sometimes.

It's also interesting that the Professor was using the Office System in 1988. I wonder how many people were still doing that.

AlexTheCat123:

--- Quote ---It's also interesting that the Professor was using the Office System in 1988. I wonder how many people were still doing that.
--- End quote ---

Believe it or not, I have a ProFile with some LisaWrite documents that are dated all the way into 1998 and 1999! Of course, the modification dates won't go this high, but there are some dates mentioned within files that are from this timeframe. From what I recall, the files were the homework of an elementary or middle schooler, so the computer wasn't being used for "real" work anymore, but it was definitely still being used!

stepleton:
I suppose I have some high school essays from around the same time on my Lisas too, but of course I was doing that for fun after having installed LOS myself atop the previous owner's MacWorks setup :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version