General Category > LisaList2

FloppyEmu not working on Lisa 2

(1/4) > >>

wagbox:
My Lisa 2/10 has had its IO board replaced so it has A8 ROMs. Anyone have experience getting their FloppyEmu to work with such a setup?

sigma7:

--- Quote from: wagbox on February 15, 2024, 03:46:41 am ---My Lisa 2/10 has had its IO board replaced so it has A8 ROMs.

--- End quote ---

A 2/10 I/O Board normally has an 88 ROM. If one puts an A8 ROM in a 2/10 I/O Board (ie. mismatch the I/O ROM and the I/O Board), the floppy won't work.

If the replacement board is a 2/5 I/O Board, then the A8 ROM is the appropriate match for the board, however, the 2/10 will be missing the Lite Adapter (which mounts in the drive cage of a 2/5), so the PWM speed signal to the floppy drive will be missing, preventing it from working.

To resolve this you could add the Lite Adapter between the Floppy Drive (FEMU) and the 20 pin ribbon cable in the Lisa 2/10 chassis. However, this is non-trivial as the Lite Adapter is designed for the 26 pin cable of the 2/5 chassis, so you will need to fabricate some kind of adapter/modification to use the Lite Adapter with the 2/10 chassis.

AFAIK, currently there is no posting for how to modify the Lite Adapter/cabling to use a 2/5 I/O Board in a 2/10 chassis (although there is a posting for how to modify the Lite Adapter to use a 2/10 I/O Board in a 2/5 chassis).

The 2/10 and 2/5 I/O Boards are easily distinguished by the larger chips at the top left of the board. The 2/10 I/O Board has three, the 2/5 I/O Board has two.

edit: I've assumed the FEMU needs the PWM signal, I've now realized that I'm not certain that is the case, but it seems a likely suspect for the problem.

wagbox:
Right. For whatever reason, this 2/10 has a 2/5 IO board.

Everything you have said lines up with the research I've done so far; I feel stuck since I have no idea how to adapt the Lite Adapter for the 2/10. Is there anyone on this board who would be able to help with such a specific matter?

sigma7:

--- Quote from: wagbox on February 15, 2024, 07:25:37 pm ---For whatever reason, this 2/10 has a 2/5 IO board.
... no idea how to adapt the Lite Adapter for the 2/10.

--- End quote ---

I (and no doubt others too) will be pleased to help. I suggest we discuss off-list and post the results.

I have sent you an email.

If anyone else wants to participate in the discussion, let us know and we can CC or make it a separate topic on-list.

warmech:
Time is increasingly becoming a valuable commodity for me until VCFSW is over and some other projects are behind me, so I can't do much on this. However...

For those taking a crack at this, feel free to use and expand upon work I've already completed. Never thought anyone would get any use out of this thing but now it looks like someone might! Heck, if someone wants to figure out what's needed to adapt this and can provide me updates to the schematic, I can probably spare some time to draw an updated PCB for it; can't imagine it would take that long. In any case, good luck and Godspeed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version