General Category > LisaList2

Modern printing solutions for the Lisa?

(1/3) > >>

andrew:
Is there a straightforward way to network a Lisa to a modern printer? I'm thinking of getting an ImageWriter but I'd rather not have to purchase and maintain a 40 year old printer if there's an alternative solution. I specifically want to be able to print out graphical documents from LisaDraw and the rest of the 7/7.

blusnowkitty:
To my knowledge there are no ways of getting the Office System to talk to a modern printer - it's Apple Daisy Wheel, ImageWriter, or Canon Inkjet only.

There are ImageWriter emulations in a couple of the big Apple II emulators. How complete they are, how they function, and how hard it'd be to make that code standalone I couldn't tell you.

Lisa2:
I have not tried it myself, but this device seems promising:

https://www.plaidvest.com/newprint.html

This device emulates an Imagewriter and outputs the results to a modern device over wifi.  With the proper cable for the Lisa, it should work.

If someone tests this, please let the group know how it worked.

Rick

UPDATE: I just ordered one these, I will report back on if it works or not...

ried:

--- Quote from: Lisa2 on February 20, 2024, 12:47:44 pm ---I have not tried it myself, but this device seems promising...

--- End quote ---

I believe that product emulates a parallel port printer, while the Apple ImageWriter is a serial port printer. Does that distinction make a difference here?

sigma7:

--- Quote from: Lisa2 on February 20, 2024, 12:47:44 pm ---https://www.plaidvest.com/newprint.html

This device emulates an Imagewriter.

--- End quote ---

I also recall that the original "ImageWriter" is serial. IIRC, the parallel port predecessor/equivalent was the Apple DMP, so I'm guessing that's what will be emulated.

I vaguely recollect that (most of) the commands were the same between the ImageWriter and DMP and so a serial - parallel converter would work for most purposes.

The ImageWriter II has an expansion slot, for which an AppleTalk card was available ... perhaps there was a parallel port option for it too.

Perhaps some of the Apple laser printers that had parallel ports could emulate an Apple ][ compatible DMP as well?

edit: 'cause ried beat me to it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version