General Category > LisaList2

Modern printing solutions for the Lisa?

<< < (2/3) > >>

andrew:
If that device is usable as a Lisa Printer, I'll definitely be getting it. Presumably, if it can work with a Lisa, it can work with a Mac, which means it would solve my printing needs for both my 2/10 and my Mac Plus. The only other question would be how best to share it between them.

Lisa2:
When the Lisa was 1st released in 1983, the ImageWriter did not exist yet.  Apples dot matrix printer at the time was the Apple DMP, and it had a parallel port interface.  In late 1983 to be ready for the introduction of the Macintosh, Apple introduced the Imagewriter that had a serial interface ( both the Mac and the IIc were serial only and the DMP would not connect to them ).    In fact both the DMP and the Imagewriter are both just rebadged C. Itoh 8510 printers, and as such the commands and features are the same.

The Lisa supported the DMP connected to a parallel interface (you needed a Lisa Dual Par port card and cable ), and later supported the ImageWriter using the serial interface.

The NewPrint device is parallel interface only, and should work with Lisa using the DMP driver.   The NewPrint device will not work directly with Macintosh unless you also use a par to serial converter too.

The original Apple LaserWriter did offer ImageWriter emulation, when connected via it's serial port,  and  later Apple shipped a Postscript based ImageWriter emulator for localtalk connected LaserWriters with GS-OS for the Apple IIgs.

Rick

andrew:
Well... guess I can't use a NewPrint right now since I don't have a parallel port card. Maybe it would be cheaper to just get an ImageWriter...

sigma7:

--- Quote from: andrew on February 21, 2024, 01:44:55 pm ---... I can't use a NewPrint right now since I don't have a parallel port card. Maybe it would be cheaper to just get an ImageWriter...

--- End quote ---

With a 'real' ImageWriter then you're then dealing with ribbons and presumably looking for tractor feed paper.

Also, I wonder when the serial printer driver first appeared... I suggest checking in case a parallel printer is the only option for the Workshop or earlier LOS versions?

Lisa2:

--- Quote from: andrew on February 20, 2024, 01:58:01 am ---Is there a straightforward way to network a Lisa to a modern printer?
--- End quote ---

So, you want "straightforward" and "modern" solution, but also "cheaper" too? 

The Lisa is from 1983, an as advanced as she was at the time, in 1983 most printing solutions used parallel interfaces.   

Rick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version