LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern printing solutions for the Lisa?  (Read 11948 times)

pl212

Re: Modern printing solutions for the Lisa?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2024, 11:59:08 pm »

Curious if anyone with one of these "NewPrint" devices has had a chance to try it with a Lisa?

Lisa2

• Administrator
  • See why 1983 was more like Y2K...
    • Lisa2.com
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2024, 11:56:40 am »

I do have the newprint device, and while it does work as advertised (Apple 2gs and TRS-80), I have yet to get it to work with Lisa using the standard Lisa parallel printer cable.

stepleton

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2024, 01:37:23 pm »

For modern printing, I'm pretty satisfied with the result of using Apple's for-the-IIGS PostScript ImageWriter interpreter to turn raw ImageWriter serial data from the Lisa into printable PostScript files. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well. Instructions are:
  • Download the PostScript program from the link above; let's say you call the file iwem_header.txt
  • Edit iwem_header.txt in a text editor and delete all lines below the line that is just '_WBJ_'
  • Using a serial cable, connect the Lisa to your computer and have it print the document an "ImageWriter" (i.e. your computer). 9600 8N1 are the serial parameters, I believe. Capture the serial data into a file; let's call it iwdata.dat
  • Strip any ^X (hex 0x18, decimal 24, ASCII "CAN") characters at the head of iwdata.dat. If you are on a linux box or OS X similar, you can say sed -i '1 s/^\x18*//' iwdata.dat
  • Concatenate the header and the data to make a PostScript file: cat iwem_header.txt iwdata.dat > printout.ps on Unix again
  • Do as you wish with the PS file; convert to PDF, print on a PostScript printer, whatever. That's it!
Apologies for not knowing how to do it on Windows, but there is surely a way there, too!

compu_85

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2024, 07:19:08 pm »

Oh so that's how that script is supposed to work! I could never figure it out, I assumed you loaded it into the LaserWriter, then it became an imagewriter to the Lisa, IE you hook the Lisa up to it.

-J
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up