LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: LisaEm 1.2.7-RC4 support bug reports  (Read 53566 times)

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • writing the code,writing the code,writing the code
    • LisaEm
Re: LisaEm 1.2.7-UNSTABLE support bug reports
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2022, 11:33:35 am »

Minor update: fixed some of the copy/paste bugs in TerminalWx code, so this helps us on the road to a future where we'll have a mostly usable terminal window for things like UniPlus, and eventually Xenix, and LPW, as well as a built in interface for BLU to connect LisaEm to an actual physical Lisa. Terminal for things like the unixes and LPW would be very useful for me so I can write code without being limited by a bitmap screen and lack of clipboard passing between host and guest. Eventually (maybe 2.0?) the idea is to have the ability to call LisaEm headless and compile things form a host side Makefile, sort of like that modern day MPW package.

Eventually will add preferences for the Terminal window to select terminal size (80x25 for now), font (Courier New), font size (12 for now), colors, etc. (Likely I'll add a preferences notebook page for this in 1.2.8.)

TerminalWx is not full featured, but it's good enough, lacks a lot of features (most notably double click and triple click don't select properly, no scrollback, etc.), but, it's better than nothing. The alternative would be to try to interface with an external program by creating a pty, but that would be problematic with Windows. If there's interest in future releases.

Still need to fix UniPlus installs (sunix kernel v1.1 profile bugs) before RC4. Hopefully by end of this month if all goes well.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

andrew

• :)
    • Lisa themed website (under construction)
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2022, 12:14:56 am »

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to mention this, but since this involves discussion on the upcoming release, I might as well. I made a couple of Big Sur style icons for LisaEm. I can post them here if anyone is interested; I also uploaded them on macosicons. If you want to use them for future versions of LisaEm, you are welcome to.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2022, 05:04:47 am »

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to mention this, but since this involves discussion on the upcoming release, I might as well. I made a couple of Big Sur style icons for LisaEm. I can post them here if anyone is interested; I also uploaded them on macosicons. If you want to use them for future versions of LisaEm, you are welcome to.

Sure, please do. Zip them up or tar them up with .tar.xz and post here.
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing, too, Writing the code, Writing the code

andrew

• :)
    • Lisa themed website (under construction)
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2022, 05:52:31 pm »

I attached them here. I did one for the Lisa 1, and another for the Lisa 2.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2022, 07:19:28 am »

I attached them here. I did one for the Lisa 1, and another for the Lisa 2.

Thank you, much appreciated.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
Re: LisaEm 1.2.7-RC4 support bug reports
« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2022, 01:58:57 pm »

Recently, Ubuntu had a new LTS, 22.04, which switches the sound system to PipeWire. This is in the long term a good thing, however, previous versions used pulseaudio, and before that OSS, and before that ALSA.

With PulseAudio, an OSS proxy package was provided that allowed applications that used OSS's dev tree muxes/dsp end points to allow applications expecting them to work on PulseAudio.

Unfortunately there's some issue/bug/other with the current 22.04 release. After installing OSSPD (the proxy package), I've noticed that the sound implementation in wxWidgets will lock up a mutex permanently when a wave file is being played in a loop. Unfortunately this is the method I use to generate sound on LisaEm.

So the effect is that whenever the Lisa plays a sound, LisaEm will permanently lock up.

A bunch of this is related to wxWidgets not supporting anything else, and on GTK requiring SDL for wave playback. There's a note that says wxWidgets requires SDL for this, which is less than ideal as it requires me to link in yet another library that's not quite large, but misused as SDL also does graphics and other things that are unused.

Sound seems to be a second class citizen in wxWidgets currently, and for backwards compatibility this is also an issue. All it can do is play a single wave file at a time, optionally asynchronously, and optionally looping the same sound. If another sound play call is issued the current sound stops playing. This works ok for windows and macos without SDL (I think), but never for GTK+ (Linux, *BSD, *Solaris). There were some discussions in the wxWidgets forums about this, but nothing has been implemented. So I'm leaning either for a workaround, or a replacement.

Unfortunately since my current daily driver development machine runs Linux this is a blocker.

Since I'm getting ready for a prod release, this is a problem as it requires a new, mostly untested, solution.

There's what I'm looking at as strategies:

* change the wave file size I'm using to several seconds instead of using looping - this would require more memory use and a work around, but it might work, haven't tested to see if I can stop the sound early successfully if it's something like 5-10 seconds of a wave file.
* directly talk to SDL and see if I can produce working sound that way.
* switch to OpenAL or SoundVox, and a few others - of the two, OpenAL is the smallest and most widely compatible - leaning to this as well. There's a small snag here, OpenAL is no longer provided for modern macos, however it does still compile there, and can run fine. No telling if it will still work in the future, but it's no different than X11 or OpenGL support. As part of Apple's war on all things GPL (including bash, and gcc) and closing off source code they've removed this as well in favor of proprietary frameworks.
* directly targeting the PipeWire calls is not an option, as I'd like to avoid writing platform specific code as much as possible and worse, elder Linux and other OS's that may use ALSA, pulseaudio, OSS, JACK, etc. would then also need yet another exception to work.

Ideally I need something that can play multiple wave files in the background (floppy, widget, imagewriter, etc), but also optionally constantly play sound data preferably without having to create a wave file either in RAM or on disk and then calling the play function. Something like a circular buffer that I can feed new values from the shift register of the VIA to generate sound - like a mixer or the way classic macos does.

The sound output of the VIA is just 1 bit, so it's an 8 cycle (8 bits in SR) timed square wave pattern at a specific volume so perhaps a synth output would be a good shortcut so I don't have to manually generate a large repeating buffer in memory with it.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2022, 04:46:47 pm »

* change the wave file size I'm using to several seconds instead of using looping - this would require more memory use and a work around, but it might work, haven't tested to see if I can stop the sound early successfully if it's something like 5-10 seconds of a wave file.

Nope, this doesn't work. I set the wav file to 10s, but when Sound.Stop() is called, it locks up on the mutex the same as LOOPING audio, so the real issue is with the Stop and not the LOOP.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2022, 07:35:08 pm »

So, RC4 has some bugs on MacOS and Windows in regards to hard drive/floppy images, likely I screwed up something in libdc42. see: https://github.com/rayarachelian/lisaem/issues for the bug reports.

I might have fixed that, not sure as I've not tested on Windows/macos yet, but also haven't pushed to github yet. Will do so. I'm considering a rewrite of libdc42 to add new features that were meant for 1.2.8 that will be necessary.

I'm currently finishing off the move to the OpenAL (Open Audio Library) from wxSound. LisaEm will continue to use wxSound if OpenAL is not installed on the system it's compiled on. Note that Apple in its war against GPLed software, and things like OpenGL has removed it from recent macos versions, though it's possible to compile it there anyway.

This will be released as RC5 once tested, etc.

greniu

« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2022, 09:57:09 am »

I have tried to install it on fresh Windows 10, macOS Catalina 10.15 and always when trying to boot from a floppy drive I am receiving this error:

"Sorry, the emulation aborted due to a fatal error. Have a cow man! ipc=NULLL
  Stopped at cpu68k.c:cpu68k_makeipclist:1096 with code: 54
   LisaEm will now quit".

It seems that there is a bug in the code. Please help to run LisaEM.

Do you know which version of OS is stable to run LisaEM 1.27-RC4?

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2022, 12:24:27 pm »

Most likely the linux version will work, but I have made some changes since that release. I'll test this once I'm done with the OpenAL migration which should be in a few days. I'll then push to the unstable branch on github before cutting RC5.

greniu

« Reply #161 on: July 27, 2022, 01:32:06 pm »

Most likely the linux version will work, but I have made some changes since that release. I'll test this once I'm done with the OpenAL migration which should be in a few days. I'll then push to the unstable branch on github before cutting RC5.

ok. Thanks. I will wait for stable version. Good luck with programing and please let us know about new release:)

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2022, 10:42:08 am »

Added a livedev branch to the repo, fri0701 contributed some fixes to lisafsh-tool and deserialize tools, I merged them.

The purpose of this branch is to capture changes I've recently made, so the work isn't lost if/when I suddenly become incapacitated or die, and also to allow others who wish to contribute to be able to get at the very latest code. This is more unstable than the unstable branch.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2022, 07:07:49 pm »

Looking at the LOS 2.0 installer issue, looks like the bug is with ProFile block writes, the write actually completes and get to State machine step 12, which then times out, so the bug is somewhere around there, likely around BSY or CMD detection. Will dig further.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #164 on: October 14, 2022, 05:02:07 pm »

fixes for LOS2.0 installer fail pushed to livedev, but needs regression testing for all OSs to ensure something else didn't break.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up