LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2022.06.03 added links to LisaList1 and LisaFAQ to the General Category

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arrow keys with M0110 keyboard and Cameo/Aphid Selector  (Read 554 times)

mejs

Arrow keys with M0110 keyboard and Cameo/Aphid Selector
« on: September 12, 2024, 09:33:28 pm »

Hi folks,
I recently built an Apple Lisa clone, and then unexpectedly got a real Lisa 2/5. I've been having lots of fun with both, but I don't actually have a Lisa keyboard, so I've been using my numpad-less M0110 with an ArcaneByte mac2lisa adapter. The adapter works great, but since I don't have the M0120 numpad, I can't use the arrow keys. This isn't a huge issue, except that I can't use the Cameo/Aphid Selector OS, which is annoyingly inconvenient since I can't choose the HD images to boot from and instead need to shuffle images on an SD card manually (I'm using the Lisa with the ArduinoFile).

Does anyone have any experience getting arrow keys to work with the mac2lisa adapter sans the numpad, or perhaps getting the up/down functionality in Selector without arrow keys? I'm just checking in case someone already resolved this problem without having to get another keyboard, or another adapter like adb2lisa or usb2lisa.

Thanks!

jamesdenton

• Administrator
  • ArcaneByte
    • ArcaneByte
Re: Arrow keys with M0110 keyboard and Cameo/Aphid Selector
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 09:51:15 pm »

Glad the adapter is working out for you!

Maybe I can implement a key combination to emulate the arrow keys. I will try and work on something this week.

James

stepleton

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2024, 04:33:50 am »

I hadn't considered this possibility when I made the Selector! I think though that it wouldn't be too difficult to change the Selector so that it uses keys from the main keyboard --- it's probably even possible to do it by just editing the profile.image binary directly in a hex editor. I'm busy for the next several days but can look into it next week.

stepleton

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2024, 05:43:31 pm »

Please can you try the drive image in the attached .zip file in place of your regular Selector drive image? (You will probably need to rename the image file.)

If my byte edits worked, you should be able to use the 1 and 2 keys at the top-left of your keyboard to scroll up and down respectively.

mejs

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2024, 07:25:35 pm »

Thanks so much to both of you for replying so quickly, James and Tom! I've had such a great time using both of your tools.

Tom, I really appreciate you jumping on this right away -- using alternative keys would work perfectly for this. I tried the alternative image but unfortunately I'm getting a checksum error -- I could probably fix this myself, but I'm not familiar enough with the image format to make a guess where the checksum is located in the file.

James -- it would be awesome to have a key combination available for the arrow keys, if it's not too much trouble. The Selector is so far the only piece of software that I've had an issue with, so if we're able to resolve it with an updated image it wouldn't be critical to have the function.

stepleton

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2024, 08:02:24 pm »

Oh of course you would get a bad checksum! I'm sorry about that, you can't just go editing the drive image like I did. It's too late for me to correct this obvious mistake now, but I will deal with this tomorrow evening (UK time).

If you're handy with Python, you can see the checksum calculation (and where the checksum is placed in each 532-byte disk block) in my hard drive image creation script.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 08:06:06 pm by stepleton »

mejs

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2024, 11:02:13 pm »

Oh of course you would get a bad checksum! I'm sorry about that, you can't just go editing the drive image like I did. It's too late for me to correct this obvious mistake now, but I will deal with this tomorrow evening (UK time).

If you're handy with Python, you can see the checksum calculation (and where the checksum is placed in each 532-byte disk block) in my hard drive image creation script.

woot! Thanks so much -- this was super helpful. I managed to fix the checksum (bytes 2990 and 2991 changed to AA F6 respectively) and scrolling with 1 and 2 works great now. Here's the image with the fixed checksum: https://blog.vladovince.com/files/selector_scroll_with_12_keys_CHECKSUM_FIXED.image

Thanks again Tom -- I really appreciate your super quick response.
Pages: [1]   Go Up