General Category > LisaList2

And so the Lisa adventure begins

<< < (5/5)

pat:

--- Quote from: stepleton on May 04, 2020, 10:28:17 am ---If you're really feeling ambitious, you could try writing your own full-featured app using the Lisa ToolKit. The ToolKit (documentation here and here) even comes with about a dozen example apps that demonstrate some of the ToolKit's features and operating principles. They're not all that interesting, but one of them is a little piano keyboard that makes little beeps, which is fun...

--- End quote ---
Please share the steps to install the ToolKit.
In here, the directories Package_1_Clascal and Package_3_Listings are empty. If someone downloaded the files inside those directories, please share them.
I could not find the dozen example apps, could someone tell their location or share them?
Thanks a lot!!!

stepleton:
Hi Pat. I think the contents of the examples directory and the toolkit_university directory will have most of the documentation that you need (nearly everything except installation, I think); I don't recall seeing any other documentation on Bitsavers and think that those directories may have always been empty. (The examples directory PDFs talk about a lot more than examples.)

Within the examples directory, the document 04_Lisa_Toolkit_Self-Paced_Training.pdf presents a teaching curriculum that incorporates several of the example programs, if I remember correctly. (I might be wrong, it's been a while since I've looked into this).

I do see that the documents in the examples directory are numbered 01..12 and then there's a 17... I don't know where 13..16 have gone; I'm not sure I've ever seen them.

I've had a working installation of the ToolKit from disks here: http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/bits/Apple/Lisa/toolkit_3.0/
Unfortunately I don't really recall what I did and kind-of figured it out as I went along. I think there was probably an installation script that you ran on one of the disks. I would set up a copy of the Workshop (3.0, not 3.9), insert the ToolKit_V3.0_1_9-1-84.dc42 disk image, and see what you can find.

Actually, yeah, looking at the disk image in lisafshtool, it seems there's a file called *Install.TEXT. I am pretty sure that this is a Workshop exec file and that you will run it by typing R (for Run) and then at the prompt <-#13-*Install.TEXT or something similar. (#13 means the floppy drive.)

Whatever the case, the examples can be found on these floppies, and there is some exec script that's part of the installation that will build an example for you. I forget the details of how it works.

Actually, yeah, wait. I forgot that I still had this up, too: http://stepleton.com/Lisa/clascal/
The Google Plus link is long dead, so no photos, but you can browse all of the example source code and download a floppy image with the compiled example programs (with icons made by me!). All of those Xfoo.TEXT files that you see are files that help configure the build script, I think.

Hope this helps; good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version