LisaList2

Advanced search  

News:

2019.06.07 fixed NChat for the "Curve" theme, will eventually move it to its own page and add it to the default theme as well. Other plugins are next. see post in the Meta board for details

Poll

Should we add separate boards by topic?

Yes, split it up
- 3 (60%)
No, keep it flat
- 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: February 02, 2019, 06:59:35 pm

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should we add separate boards by topic?  (Read 680 times)

rayarachelian

• Administrator
  • "But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game"
    • LisaEm
Should we add separate boards by topic?
« on: January 19, 2019, 06:59:35 pm »

Should we split up LisaList2 into into topics, such as:
  • Lisa Office System
  • MacWorks
  • Xenix
  • UniPlus
  • Monitor
  • Lisa Applications
  • ProFile Drives
  • Widget Drives
  • DataTower
  • X/ProFile
  • SCSI
  • IDE:File
  • Lisa 1
  • Lisa 2, 2/5, 2/10
  • Screen Modification Kit
  • I/O Board
  • Power Supplies
  • Serial Ports
  • Other
Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'  The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

sigma7

• Administrator
Re: Should we add separate boards by topic?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 02:47:34 am »

If the topics are too specific, then we have the potential labour of moving things to a more applicable topic.

I'd guess the search function works well enough across topics that they don't need to be very specific when someone knows what they are looking for.

Accordingly, I'm guessing the main use of topics would be so that people could follow topics of interest and ignore others of low interest.

In the past, common threads seem to include:

- I found a Lisa, what is it worth?
- Where can I get something or other for my Lisa? (typically to get it working)
- What is wrong with my Lisa? (And how do I fix it?)
- Look at this interesting thing I've discovered about Lisa (documentation, advertising, software archive, ebay listing)

So I'm thinking that instead of topics based on components of the Lisa ecosystem, the main topics could be based on forum use cases, eg:

- Hardware Troubleshooting and Repair (perhaps with sub-topics by symptom... eg. startup/POST error, video problem, won't power up)
- Software Installation, Use, and Troubleshooting (perhaps with sub-topics by package... LOS, MacWorks, *nix, Workshop)
- Marketplace / Buy and Sell
- Links and Documents of potential interest
- Documentation (perhaps with sub-topics along the lines of Ray's list, maybe split into Hardware Documentation and Software Documentation)

On the other hand, the traffic is minimal so perhaps the fewer topics the better?

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 10:05:04 am »

Yeah, I think the hardware/software howto/diagnostics things really belong to LisaFAQ, which I'll also resurrect the editing of, after this is settled.
However, even with those pre-answered in LisaFAQ, it's hard to know when something applies. I even found the same issue with my own Lisas. The info is there, but it's not always clear which path to take, so I asked on the List and those who have had experience with the same issue will point to the right path.

LisaFAQ was originally created based on questions and answers off LisaList, as well as things like the SunRem DYI guide and other repair manuals.
LisaList typically got around a post a month or so, so breaking it up by topic could make it even sparser. It also makes it harder for people who just want to read everything as now they have to click on each new thing, or use the RSS feed function instead.

While splitting it up by topics can serve to presort questions, and also provide a list of topics, it can also limit topics and make it seem as if they shouldn't ask something. i.e. it's always possible someone will want to ask something that we haven't planned for before, for example, a question on how to program for Lisa Office System. I wouldn't want that.
Anything Lisa related should be on-topic (obvious barring things like flame wars and outright advertising, though I'm perfectly fine with product/project announcements and the occasional, "Look a Lisa1 on ebay is asking $65K!").
So maybe we could not break it up, or make the areas broader (i.e. Software, Hardware vs LOS, MacWorks, UniPlus, Xenix, Widget, ProFile, etc.)?
Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'  The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

D.Finni

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 06:56:16 pm »

I'd say keep one board for now, and if volume grows, then consider adding more boards.

patrick

• Patrick's Hardware Page
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 02:35:36 pm »

I vote for splitting it up into coarse categories. E.g. Lisa Hardware, LisaOS, Macworks, Other OSes, Emulators, Fleamarket.

rayarachelian

• Administrator
    • LisaEm
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 02:47:09 pm »

It may be the case that the mailing list plugin will limit the boards we can have, or perhaps I'd just need to create a mailbox per board. We'll see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up