LisaList2

General Category => LisaList2 => Topic started by: Sterling on August 16, 2026, 09:35:58 PM

Title: How do I tell what system/data an external Profile drive may have/be?
Post by: Sterling on August 16, 2026, 09:35:58 PM
I have two (of four total) external profile drives that appear to come up into solid Ready status.

They don't boot into anything.

How do I tell if they have anything useful on them?
I might be interested in trying to preserve whatever is on them, but I have no idea how to do that.

Using BLU I get the following HD Stats, if this means anything...
Blocks 2600
Blocksize 214
Device No 0
Spare Count 20
Spares Allocated 1
Bad Blocks 1

What do you guys think?
Title: Re: How do I tell what system/data an external Profile drive may have/be?
Post by: TorZidan on August 16, 2026, 10:34:49 PM
The easiest way would be to use an ESProFile card, hook it up to the ProFile in "diagnostic mode", connect the ESProFile to a PC with an USB cable, and backup the entire content of the drive into a file on your PC: https://github.com/alexthecat123/ESProFile#c-backup-entire-drive .

Then use a hex editor to peek into the data and try to make sense of it; along with the binary gibberish, there will be a lot of readable text.
Title: Re: How do I tell what system/data an external Profile drive may have/be?
Post by: Sterling on August 17, 2026, 09:57:23 AM
Well, I don't have an ESProFile card. Maybe I should get one.

I'm not that patient, so I did a drive test, wiping the data.

Status: 09028064
Command Count 103327
Sector Spared Count 9
Seek to wrong track count 9D4
Error Count 791E7

Looks like this drive may have a few errors, lol

Title: Re: How do I tell what system/data an external Profile drive may have/be?
Post by: Lisa2 on August 17, 2026, 11:32:16 AM
 You don't need ESProFile card,  If you are already using BLU, you can use BLU to backup the Profiles.
Title: Re: How do I tell what system/data an external Profile drive may have/be?
Post by: TorZidan on August 17, 2026, 04:12:09 PM
Sorry for misleading you into using an ESProFile, when BLU can do the same. I did not know...
Title: Re: How do I tell what system/data an external Profile drive may have/be?
Post by: Sterling on August 18, 2026, 09:55:16 PM
Wait a minute, can I do diagnostics with my LisaFPGA board v3 by just connecting the Profile to the Profile port?

I forgot I had one of these, haven't had a chance to boot it up yet, or read much about it.
Title: Re: How do I tell what system/data an external Profile drive may have/be?
Post by: AlexTheCat123 on August 19, 2026, 12:14:01 AM
Quote from: Sterling on August 18, 2026, 09:55:16 PMWait a minute, can I do diagnostics with my LisaFPGA board v3 by just connecting the Profile to the Profile port?

Yeah, anything a real Lisa can do it can do. So BLU would work great. Just plug the ProFile into the ProFile port, boot BLU off a floppy, and make sure HARD DRIVE SOURCE is set to EXT.