Greetings,
I've got a couple of Lisa 2/10's with a Widget in each.
One Widget works and one doesn't.
They both spin up (the working one needs a bit of help if it's been sitting a while) and the other one does the rhythmic head banging thing like it's listening to heavy metal until it times out.
I tried the lay the drive sideways, upside down, move it around trick with no luck.
So, I pulled the control boards off the working drive and put them on the non-working drive and...
The non-working drive works (both drives boot into MacWorks with the 'good' control boards).
So, I decided the trouble was in the control boards and swapped the top boards and...
both bottom boards appear to be good and one of the top double boards appears to 'bad'.
The top board with the 341-0289-D ROM is the 'bad' board.
Here's where I get lost. They have different ROMs and different chips and I'm wondering if the one drive simply has the wrong ROM and got dropped into this Lisa ages ago? The fact that both of the actual drives work with the 341-0288 piggyback ROM and control boards leaves me hoping it's just the wrong ROMs on the 'bad' top control board for these machines.
NEOWIDEX says that when trying to boot one of the drives with the 'bad' board that the drive is not a Widget and do I want to fake it?, I respond 'Y' and everything freezes until I literally pull the plug.
I don't plan on using these Widgets or leaving them in the machines, but it'd be nice to see them both working.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
And, it just occurred to me that I should swap the ROMS to test that theory...
Sheesh.
I'd bet the Z8 with the piggyback ROM is working and the other one isn't. That's lucky, because the Z8 with its piggyback ROM is rather special and enables one to low-level format a widget.