Re: Reversing screen mod

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:39:59 -0500

Lisa2.com wrote:
> On Mar 1, 5:46 pm, Peter <pleon..._at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:
>
>> I ask because it strikes me that, long-term, the value of running
>> original Lisa OS(es) on original hardware will outpace the value of
>> running System 6 under MacWorks, from a computer history point of view.
>>

> I don't agree with this statement! A screen-modded Lisa has no less
> "historical" value. Lisa's running MacWorks or Xenix are still
> Lisa's, all the hardware is exactly the same. It's pretty impressive
> from a "historical" point of view that Lisa can run newwer OSes (just
> try running Windows95 on a 1983 PC/XT).
>
> It would have been stupid for Apple not to offer the screen mod, and
> adapt the Mac's better square pixel design. Plus, with the great
> emulators available today, anyone can experience the LisaOS with out
> having a Lisa to run it on.

I'd tend to agree with the original poster, but that's just my $0,02.

To go ad absurdum, why should a working Lisa 2 be more valuable than a dead one? After all you can use an emulator to run LisaOS, right? :-) Or for that matter, you could also make the statement that all Lisa's should be free, after all emulators are free.

An unmodified Lisa 2 can run every Lisa OS. A modified Lisa 2 can only run MacWorks. So the screen mod places a limit on what that specific Lisa can do, while, granted it does improve running MacWorks.

Mind you, I've nothing against MacWorks or Mac OS. Just pointing out the obvious. :-)