Re: Reversing screen mod

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 15:03:40 -0500

John Musbach wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Lisa2.com <rick_at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:
>
>> (just
>> try running Windows95 on a 1983 PC/XT).
>>

> What's wrong with that? I've done it without issues.
Highly unlikely. Not on the original 1983 IBM PC or XT you haven't. Perhaps you mean a generic 386 or 486 "PC". Not an actual IBM PC 5150 or XT 5160 with their original motherboards.

From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138349

System requirements for installing Windows 95:

Specs of an original IBM 5150 PC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer

Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz
Memory 16 kiB ~ 256 kiB

Specs for an XT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_XT

CPU     Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz
Memory     128KB ~ 640KB

The 8088 was a 16 bit CPU, not capable of running 32 bit applications. Neither could use 4MB of memory - well a LIM card might provide that much memory, maybe, but that wouldn't work with Windows 95. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expanded_memory

Installing it from a floppy or CDROM had nothing to with it.