Lisa Monitor operating system and development environment

From: Shirl Casner <shirlgato_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:59:51 -0700

 > a clone of MSDOS

I suspect you have a copy of the Lisa's first operating system which was called the LISA MONITOR (this was also a development environment). This used a command line text-only user interface in which you pressed a key to activate a command. This OS was based on the Apple Pascal system which Apple provided for its Apple II and Apple III systems and which in turn was based on the UCSD Pascal p-system.

Apple used the MONITOR to develop its Lisa OS and also its GUI-based Lisa applications which used the Lisa Desktop Libraries. When the Lisa OS was stable Apple replaced the Lisa Monitor with the Lisa Workshop.

I have an Apple document which describes the Lisa Monitor in detail. See www.sunder.net for a copy.

The Monitor survived the Workshop in that the LisaTest and MacWorks disks run the Monitor.