Re: Transporting a Profile Drive

From: snhirsch <snhirsch_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 04:04:05 -0800 (PST)

> Does anyone know how well these travel?  The normal packing guidelines can
> be followed which should stop damage to the outside but what about the
> innards?  With old PC drives you were suppose to "park" the heads before
> moving the unit.  Does the same kind of thing apply to these Profile drives.
> Does anyone know?  How well to they take to being shipped around?

I believe the ProFile firmware returns the heads to the parked position after some amount of inactivity. However, it's possible to shut the drive off at an inopportune time and leave the heads over the recorded media surface. If the drive will come ready on its own, you might ask the seller to spin it up, wait until self-test completes, give it another moment or two and shut the power off. If it will not come ready, you'll just have to take your chances. Moving the stepper motor by hand is a recipe for disaster.